Loads of upgrade problems..

Soldato
Hey, I've got a load of problems, which I asked about on pcformat forums and got limited responses.

Each one is to do with updating the main system of my computer(ram, processor etc).

I'll outline my system:

Asus A7m266 (bios revision 1007)
Athlon 1800+
256mb ddr
gf3 ti200
Creative soundblaster live 5.1
EMU 0404(recording card)
XP pro(Upgraded from ME :p)

Now, the problems:

1) The original processor was a 1.2 athlon(this was top of the range when i got this computer in 2000(It's not the main comp anymore, I have it in my room.)
This processor broke inprobably 2002 and I was given a 1.33 athlon to replace it by my dad. This would have been good if I didn't have to scale down the performance to 1.1(I think this is what it was) by going into the setup and changing the fsb(again, I think.. long time ago).
If I put it up to the full potential(1.3) the computer randomly rebooted with no error seemingly undependant on load(gaming, desktop, startup, web etc)
I now have my dad's 1800+(should run at 1533mhz but I'm forced to set the fsb to 100 instead of 133 which gives a speed of 1153 or something for it to run stably as this does the same thing.)
When I checked the Asus site at the time I'm sure it said that my bios revision should support up to 1.8ghz clock speeds so it should have no trouble with my current processor, yet it does.)
It doesn't seem to like going over 1.2ghz :/

2: I stuck in a 256mb ddr stick replacing one of the 128mb sticks I had installed. Again it all worked fine, but rebooted randomly.

3: I was given a GF4 Ti4200 which seriously destroyed :D I got like 70fps on full settings on ut2003 with an athlon at 1.1.
However, trouble struck as it began to reboot the computer randomly giving the error in the admin section of xp "graphics card went into infinite loop" or the driver did, again can't remember. Is this just a knackered gfx card, or could it be solved easily. It's a Leadtech Winfast A280 LE TDH myVIVO.

Thanks for any help as it's probably a lost cause, I'd just love to be able to get call of duty 2 on dx7 mode running so I don't have to share one computer with my family,
George.

Soldato
OP
Ok.. I'll have a look at the gfx card. Try reinstall it.
The major one I want is the cpu. I'll try the ram one.. gotta find where the stick's been put now :D

Hopefully getting my mate's old 9600pro in july.

Edit: at first look I can't see any markings on the casing of the psu for wattage(it's the stock one). I'll have to have a look later when it's off and remove the mobo side casing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom