Local compression and encryption for backups

Soldato
Hi guys,

I am currently looking to cloud based backup and was wondering what I should use for compression and client-side encryption?

My plan is to backup locally to my server first, encrypt and compress etc. Then backup this to the cloud.

Soldato
Have you looked at CrashPlan? http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Security_Encryption_And_Password_Options

It won't do exactly what you're after, but it does encrypt your files on their servers.

[Edit]
In fact, CrashPlan does local backups as well so it may well encrypt locally if you want.

[Edit2]
Just tested and you can run a local backup and encrypt it. So basically you'd have two backup jobs - one that goes up to the CrashPlan servers and the other goes to your local disk. Both encrypted.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Have you looked at CrashPlan? http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Security_Encryption_And_Password_Options

It won't do exactly what you're after, but it does encrypt your files on their servers.

[Edit]
In fact, CrashPlan does local backups as well so it may well encrypt locally if you want.

[Edit2]
Just tested and you can run a local backup and encrypt it. So basically you'd have two backup jobs - one that goes up to the CrashPlan servers and the other goes to your local disk. Both encrypted.

Thanks for your response! I have had a look at the local crashplan install but I was trying to see if there were alternatives really. My plan is to backup to a VPS, so I wouldn't be using the crashplan cloud service.

I was hoping there may be some open source alternatives. I still get kind of worried using cloud based providers software to encrypt my files. That is probably stupid but there must be some others. I have also looked at 7-Zip just for simple encryption and compression, then I could use SFTP or something to upload to a VPS?

Thanks again though :)

Soldato
Does it do incremental merging by any chance so I can do one full backup and then it'll manage the space the subsequent incremental use?

Back
Top Bottom