log cabin help - billyoh Devon

Associate
Good evening all,

I recently purchased a billyoh Devon 44mm log cabin.

It's been a frustrating day erecting the cabin as it appears that some of the shorter logs that fill between the windows and doors are poorly machined.
Therefore not all of them butted together flush and now I have finished building up the all sides of the cabin there is a 2 inch gap between the final log across the top and the logs at the front between the window and doors.

Has anyone had experience of building a Billy oh cabin or had similar problems?

I have pictures but struggling to upload. Will keep trying.

Many thanks

Andy

Permabanned
get in touch with the supplier tell them your not happy and it's not fit for purpose .. demand they send replacement parts ..
it is as easy as that .. just be calm and collective .. ..
if worst comes to worst tell them you want to return it .. as it's not fit for purpose .. simples

Associate
OP
Thanks that's great advice.

I'm worried I've done something wrong but I watched the installation video, have followed step by step, and nothing I did could made the short logs flush.

I've emailed them already today and waiting for a response but was interested to hear if anyone had experience of this particular cabin from Billyoh.

Soldato
Looking at your pictures the tongue and grooves don't look correct.

I really don't understand how you decided to go ahead and paint it though? Surely if it needs replacing (which it clearly does) then you wouldn't bother to paint it.

Associate
OP
My dad helped install the cabin and whilst I was at work it was raining so he thought it would be a great idea to give some of the pieces a first coat in the garage!
Was not impressed but he thought he was progressing the job.

Soldato
That's a treeible design. What holds the corner in a stable position on thr RHS of the door? Usually the door sits on top of a few logs that are tied into the corner.

Soldato
Looks like it need all knocking back in together properly, some of the boards look to be warped also so that won't help. I've not built this brand but have built others of similar construction and the really needed a heavy hand to get them to sit down tongue and groove tight together, once then are down properly you will get another board across that gap.

Soldato
Have you stored this at your home for any length of time before erecting because some of the timbers look warped? I would have assumed for this type of construction they would use dried timber before machining to avoid this problem. At first glance either they haven't dried it properly, they have left it stored for a long time or you have stored it for a long time any of which has resulted in uneven movement of the wood. You should definitely be insisting they put this right.

You need to wack each plank down as you go. That clearly doesnt look like its been put up correctly.

I put up a TUIN cabin, if you watch their installation videos they are wacking a fair amount (rubber/plastic mallet) to get the logs to sit onto each other.

Its quite normal for the logs to be warped etc, wood does that.

Looking at that, with the double tongue I think you will probably need to remove the top two thirds and then you may be able to wack it down to get all to seat corectly. You shouldnt have bits where clearly the tongue/groove are not engaged.
The weight of the cabin will help them settle in as long as they are partly engaged, but some of these look like they would resist any movement to engage.

Soldato
Am I right in thinking that the gap at the top is caused by the side planks not fitting correctly? Can you not give them a good whack with a rubber mallet until the tongue and groove sections sit flush?

Back
Top Bottom