Log cabin - stain, colour or vanish?

Soldato
Making some assumptions that parts of the logs will have gentle slopes I would suggest you'll have more standing water droplets. In which case I'd really consider varnish. How seasoned is the wood do you expect shrinkage and is the wood tanalised?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
It's not actually made from logs like you'd think.
Looks like all fresh timber to me, untreated.

Here's a pic of the 5x3m beast. The picture shows what the delivered wood looks like.

29KxRFM.jpg

Soldato
You'll want to be adding a few coats of clear preservative if it is just bare wood. Then a decent stain system like Sikkens Cetol would be what I would use on something expensive like a log cabin. Should give you 4-5 years before it needs re-doing.

Soldato
Only ever seem to hear bad stuff about ronseal. That's also water based stain, so I can't see it actually lasting 5 years. Plus it'll completely cover the grain of the wood going by other water based stains I have used in the past.

http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/buy/woodstains/woodstains-1/johnstones-satin-woodstain/81

This looks like a better product than the Ronseal if going the cheaper route. It's also microporus, so lets the wood breath. Available in matt or satin.

There have been a couple of log cabin build logs on here so hopefully one of them sees the thread and can say what they used.

Soldato

That would work, but you would have to wait a week or two until the wax waterproofer in that preservative has weathered off.

I used a coloured preserver and then decking oil on my shed and it looks great and seems to be doing a good job so far. You would probably have to do a maintenance coat more often than with a stain, but oil is very easy to apply, so shouldn't take very long to do it.

IMG_6160_zps20a5ad4b.jpg

Here's a pic of the back of my shed after a couple of coats of oil. I much prefer to see all the grain and knots and the oil helps to bring them out. Should look good on a cabin.

Soldato
creocote if you like the color . As close as you can get to creosote and i think it looks great... will be doing my new shed with it when it arrives next week .

Soldato
creocote if you like the color . As close as you can get to creosote and i think it looks great... will be doing my new shed with it when it arrives next week .

I wouldn't use that on a log cabin, its more for sheds and fences. It smells really strong for a long time and would need regularly topping up.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Two coatings of Remmers Aidol Wood Preservative Cream in clear for impregnation followed by two coatings of Remmers Aidol UV Weather Protection Stain in clear UV+. One more coat of the latter a year later before summer. Stays perfect and in original wood colour for at least half a decade.

Back
Top Bottom