Logical steps to solve cat6 network port issue

cgk

cgk

Associate
Hello,

Help someone out who is a bit slow - I have a network port in front room, cat6 cable up outside wall, network port in home office on first floor. It should run at 1gbps but tops out at 100mb - which suggests issue with network ports or cable - it's all pretty new.

What is the most logical order to try and work out what the problem is with the least hassle for myself? (or to determine if it's actually a device issue)

Thanks in advance.

Step one is to say what is plugged into each end of the cable, including the model number.

Has this ever worked, or is this failure a recent one? Was it tested when it was installed and confirmed working?

As well as the above question about what you have plugged into each end. Please describe how are you measuring this?

Hello - so I have an orbi rbr50 - hardwiring the base and sat shows that it detects it as a 10/100. Tried also from the orbi base to a desktop PC which also gives speeds of less than 100mb over the network (the boards are capable of 1000). I guess it could be something wrong with the orbi base unit but if I plug other devices into it they all show up as capable of 1000.

Take the Cat6 wall plate off both ends, take a photo of the cabling and post it here.

It's possible it hasn't been punched down correctly, or one of the pairs has come loose maybe.

I presume you've tried a different Cat6 cable at both ends, to rule out any faults with the cables being used either end?

What cables are you using to hook it up? Does it have all 8 conductors connected or just 4? There are a surprising number of ‘freebie’ cables that are 10/100Mbps.

As has been requested, please post images of the wall-plate connections. I assume this is on a property you’ve moved into and this was already there?

Back
Top Bottom