Logitech Z-5500's - Sometimes wont power on?

Associate
So I have had my Z-5500's speakers since about 2006.
To this day, they have worked incredibly well! Only had to change the fuse in the back of the sub once.

For about the last week or 2, I have had an issue where sometimes when pressing the power-button on the control pod nothing happens. Light remains Red.
If I turn off the power on the back of the sub, or unplug it then straight back on they work fine.

This has happened about 3-4 times now. Each time, easy fix.

Just wondering if this might be an early tell of issues developing?

Anybody still using their set and had this issue?

Seems Logitech never really replaced these (the Z906 seem meh :|), so Im really hoping to keep these going as long as possible, despite them already having served so well for so long!

Associate
It's a long shot but you might want to try contacting Logitech support, might be able to supply you with a replacement control pod. Either that or try and find a cheap one on the 'bay or marketplace, switching out the control pod for a known good one will tell you where the problem is.

Shame you didnt post this a few months ago, I gave two working sets to charity!

Don
It's a common problem with the Z-5500 Control Pod - normally the backlight is a sign of the failure, and is caused by a capacitor failing I think.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/hacking-the-logitech-z5500.110310/page-34
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/help-repairing-my-logitech-z-5500s/
https://www.reddit.com/r/fixit/comments/qxtutj/fixit_logitech_z5500_control_pod/

The pinouts are quite widely available, and people have created various control pod "bypass cables", so that the sub/speakers can still be used even when the control pod completely fails

Associate
I upgraded my PC sound a few years ago, was using the 5500 sub with an AV-receiver until I upgraded to a hifi sub in the black friday sale last year.

The 2nd one was on the main TV but started playing up - on some channels the sound format shifts from Dolby Digital to just a stereo feed during ad breaks, more and more frequently it was crashing when switching back to the main program. Switched it out for a decent soundbar, bit nicer nit having all the wires tbh. Still worked fine when I hooked it up to my PC for a few days. Charity shop was still happy to take it despite the gremlin.

Associate
OP
It's a common problem with the Z-5500 Control Pod - normally the backlight is a sign of the failure, and is caused by a capacitor failing I think.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/hacking-the-logitech-z5500.110310/page-34
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/help-repairing-my-logitech-z-5500s/
https://www.reddit.com/r/fixit/comments/qxtutj/fixit_logitech_z5500_control_pod/

The pinouts are quite widely available, and people have created various control pod "bypass cables", so that the sub/speakers can still be used even when the control pod completely fails
Yes I have seen a fair few cables that replace the control pod. My only concern with those is how do you turn on/off the system? None I have seen seem to have a power button!

I upgraded my PC sound a few years ago, was using the 5500 sub with an AV-receiver until I upgraded to a hifi sub in the black friday sale last year.

The 2nd one was on the main TV but started playing up - on some channels the sound format shifts from Dolby Digital to just a stereo feed during ad breaks, more and more frequently it was crashing when switching back to the main program. Switched it out for a decent soundbar, bit nicer nit having all the wires tbh. Still worked fine when I hooked it up to my PC for a few days. Charity shop was still happy to take it despite the gremlin.
Im amazed you found a charity shop that would take electricals! All the ones around here are very picky with anything that has a plug on it! :cry:

Ill try for a replacement control pod first. Then see about a cable to remove its need.

Associate
My Z5500 set died in a similar fashion. First intermittent issues with powering on until eventually the power led dimmed so much the set would not turn on any more. never had an issue with the backlight.

Logitech no longer had any parts to send out and finding just a pod is near impossible as a replacement pod firmware has to match the serial/firmware in the sub. I have the Z906 which is .. alright but not as impressive or capable as the z5500 it replaced. I miss Dolby Prologic I/II decoding which was useful for older PS1/Ps2 games.

Soldato
My Z5500 is still working but I wish i could get rid of the pod and connect the sub and speakers to my Denon CEOL Piccolo amp, is this possible at all? Or does the sub have a built in crossover that would make it pointless to attempt?

Associate
OP
Mine keeps doing this on-and-off, but the work-around(s) are getting me by for now.
Either turn it off at the mains and back on, or use the remote control. Oddly once it has been turned on with the remote, the button on the pod works perfectly.
My Z5500 is still working but I wish i could get rid of the pod and connect the sub and speakers to my Denon CEOL Piccolo amp, is this possible at all? Or does the sub have a built in crossover that would make it pointless to attempt?
I have seen a little adapter that connects to the 15-in port on the sub, then gives you RCA connector to connect to another amps sub-out, like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23403302...s=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1ZzEaE058TdCp79PQjLUWTA91

You could then connect your speakers direct to the amp, and the sub using the above.

Associate
So I have had my Z-5500's speakers since about 2006.
To this day, they have worked incredibly well! Only had to change the fuse in the back of the sub once.

For about the last week or 2, I have had an issue where sometimes when pressing the power-button on the control pod nothing happens. Light remains Red.
If I turn off the power on the back of the sub, or unplug it then straight back on they work fine.

This has happened about 3-4 times now. Each time, easy fix.

Just wondering if this might be an early tell of issues developing?

Anybody still using their set and had this issue?

Seems Logitech never really replaced these (the Z906 seem meh :|), so Im really hoping to keep these going as long as possible, despite them already having served so well for so long!
I fixed mine by replacing the caps on the inputs and outputs of the linear regulators, and resoldering the shelves for the zener diodes.

I think the caps are drying out due to age and the diodes are constantly dropping 2V (regardless whether the unit is on) each and are heat cycling every time the unit is powered on and off at the wall

One linear regulator must output 3.3V, the next 2.5V and the final 5V. They are all powered by the 8V rail, but the 3.3 and 2.5 have the 8V dropped by the zeners for their inputs

Associate
I have had my Z5500's since they first came out - still working ok but I know the days are numbered.
I have replaced the fuse once and the backlight is very low on the pod.....still working though (crosses fingers).

pre

pre

Associate
Seems like control pods failure is the thing for Logitech speakers - the 3.5 jack on mine on died on R channel today but everything else is working RIP.

Back
Top Bottom