London 2024 - What to do

Soldato
Super short minimoon coming up. We've decided to tread foot into London before planning something more major next year.

We will be child free, and many many years ago, the good hive of OcUK helped shaped a great few days away in London.

Not bothered about the usual tourist things, but previous recommendations included:

Eating:
Roast
Globe (Shakespear)
OXO

Activities:
London Bridge Experience (haunted thing)
Swingers (crazy Golf)
arcelormittal thingy majig

This time, although we can do similar, I'm looking for some more of the unique "inner London", less touristy things. Perhaps Cocktails / Lunch / Afternoon Tea, Different restaurants (unless we are still rating Roast, etc), and activities. I've seen things like the F1 experience (which my OH would enjoy too), 007 for a day, Speak Easy bar, etc.

Hoping you guys can drop some ideas in here and I'll check them all out to see what fits.

heart emoji

Super short minimoon coming up. We've decided to tread foot into London before planning something more major next year.

We will be child free, and many many years ago, the good hive of OcUK helped shaped a great few days away in London.

Not bothered about the usual tourist things, but previous recommendations included:

Eating:
Roast
Globe (Shakespear)
OXO

Activities:
London Bridge Experience (haunted thing)
Swingers (crazy Golf)
arcelormittal thingy majig

This time, although we can do similar, I'm looking for some more of the unique "inner London", less touristy things. Perhaps Cocktails / Lunch / Afternoon Tea, Different restaurants (unless we are still rating Roast, etc), and activities. I've seen things like the F1 experience (which my OH would enjoy too), 007 for a day, Speak Easy bar, etc.

Hoping you guys can drop some ideas in here and I'll check them all out to see what fits.

heart emoji

You're already taking the Mrs up the OXO tower, I'd call it quits :-)

Borough Market if you are around LB.

Re-read.....Wine Library?

Last edited:
An excellent afternoon/evening day out is Phantom Peak. Definitely my favourite activity in London, by quite some measure. Think of it as an IRL RPG, where all the people are in character and you have quests to do. There's food, drink, a massive venue with numerous quest trails, tons of little rooms and "shops" and stuff, it's really good.

For a fun night out, the Fawlty Towers experience is well worth a look, however keep in mind that you're getting the full Fawlty Towers experience, as in the food is average at best.

Those are the two that spring to mind immediately, but I'll think of more and will post them up.

Well I had a vegan tofu firecracker on the Southbank on Wednesday but mostly we did free stuff , Tate modern ,.museums and called in Camden plus a touristy walk in regents park Buckingham palace, ect ect , going back for Xmas now my youngest has the house there so will keep an eye on suggestions, bearing in mind I am tighter than a ducks butt

Nobu for afternoon tea is good. It's Japanese themed so instead of sandwiches to start you get sushi and fried chicken, which was a significant upgrade on the traditional experience

Nobu for afternoon tea is good. It's Japanese themed so instead of sandwiches to start you get sushi and fried chicken, which was a significant upgrade on the traditional experience
That's not really the afternoon tea experience though is it. My girlfriend went to Browns Hotel in Mayfair (not the brasserie) for afternoon tea with her folks. That's what you want for afternoon tea, a historic 5* hotel in Mayfair imho :)

I can only speak on restaurants, but I don't know any locals that really rate Roast. Check out some of these places;
  • Quality Chop House
  • Session Arts Club
  • Noble Rot
  • Blanchette
  • Temper (Soho)
  • Maison Francois
  • Bouchon Racine
  • St. John
  • Sabor
  • The Palomar
  • Brasserie Zedel
  • Fallow
  • Gymkhana
For a few :o

If you like F1, I went to the F1 Exhibition at the Excel this weekend which was fairly decent.

That's not really the afternoon tea experience though is it. My girlfriend went to Browns Hotel in Mayfair (not the brasserie) for afternoon tea with her folks. That's what you want for afternoon tea, a historic 5* hotel in Mayfair imho :)

I can only speak on restaurants, but I don't know any locals that really rate Roast. Check out some of these places;
  • Quality Chop House
  • Session Arts Club
  • Noble Rot
  • Blanchette
  • Temper (Soho)
  • Maison Francois
  • Bouchon Racine
  • St. John
  • Sabor
  • The Palomar
  • Brasserie Zedel
  • Fallow
  • Gymkhana
For a few :o

If you like F1, I went to the F1 Exhibition at the Excel this weekend which was fairly decent.
Quality Chop House is great, as is Zedel - the cocktail bar in Zedel's building is lovely as well. I've not been to Noble Rot but have heard mixed reviews.

Back
Top Bottom