Long delay at start up just after memory check

Soldato
Hi All,

I have had this problem for a while but am just fed up with it. After upgrading to XP SP2 a few months ago I had to update my on-board USB drivers to get then to be rocognised as USB2 devices. I don't know if this is related or not!

After startup all goes OK until after the memory check (1024MB is my case). 9 times out of 10, then the computer just sits there for a minute or 2 - then it goes back into action again and recognises the drives (USB, HDD, etc) and all is OK. Not sure if this long delay is some m/board SP2 problem or some driver problem.

Is there some log that will have this sort of info in - presumably windows won't have started that soon? This is apparent in thr Windows "Event" logs;

The NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller service failed to start due to the following error:
"The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "

But when I look in the hardware devices system tab it seem OK:
NEC PCI to USB enhanced hots controller (B1)
- says all OK, etc.

Any ideas. Perhaps the driver is just loading later than expected?

Mel

Soldato
OP
Well I think I know what it was - I had wound down the speed on the fans as I had put a better CPU cooler (zalman) and some large OD case fans - all slow+ quiet but the CPU thought one was too slow - it was in RED in the bios set up- upping this solved it.

Mel P

Back
Top Bottom