Long long time until we have truely automated cars?

Soldato
Was thinking about this.

With more automation, lane control, collision detection etc. I think the technology for having a completely automated car actually isnt that far off. I mean we pretty much have them now.

What I think is far away, is the legality and liability for them.

I mean, I am all for a car that I can get into having had a skinful at the pub, and it drives me home. But I cant see that ever happening, not for a long time?

The thing is, if you automated car ***** up, and runs over someone's kid, who is to blame? It certainly wont be the manufacturer of the car.

Soldato
OP
The thing is, forget how good the technology needs to be for a minute.

And as a side note, I do agree, once the technology is polished, a world full of automated cars, would be safer than human driven cars, but again forget all that for a minute.

If you car kills someone's child, who is to blame?

As a driver of a non automated car, and you have a collision with an automated car, whi is at fault.

The thing is, it doesn't matter how good the technology gets, with millions of cars driving around, people walking around, every event that could happen, hardware failure, accident WILL happen.

But can you just say "well that wasn't my fault I was 8 times over the limit and my car run your child over".... I just can't see it happening.

For a long, long time yet, a human "operator" will still need to be responsible for that vehicle.

Soldato
OP
Lolwut.

Your car will be able to drive itself (automated) but of course you’re going to be liable if it hits someone. It’s your car :confused:

But that's not truely automated? It means you need to be responsible for that vehicle, so you lol have to pay attention, have to be ready to take control at any moment. That isn't my idea of automation.

Soldato
OP
Yea I remember someone saying why you shouldn't get into HGV driving as it'll become automated/driverless - again because of the legality/liability I just can't see that happening for a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom