Longlegs (Neon)

5/10

Great cinematography and atmosphere but found the story weak, too shallow and and didn't go anywhere, topped off with a disappointing ending.

Reactions: Kyo
Disappointing , do you think it would work better on the small screen ?

No i think the way they shot it and the acting and production as good, it just the story and screenplay was disappointing cause the build up was quite good in a weird creepy way. The finale itself was a little abrupt and the pay off didnt work for me. I have seen other movies like this that are hyped up to be incredibly good which is similar to this.

Same, bitterly disappointed.

Solid 5/10

The third act was weak and tried to tie up everything in one flashback childhood conversation.

Cage wasn't that great....

Same,
as a mysterious figure in the background worked best but as soon as you started seeing him in person, his acting took me out of the whole movie. It was just Wacky Cage

@bledd What did you make of it?

Last edited:
Just back from the cinema.

Good intrigue and strong ominous tones but regretfully undermined by ‘unnecessary tonal inconsistencies’.

They really should have played this ‘even more wacky’ or, even better, just cut the ‘wacky’ out entirely and let the horror breathe.

We have some very ominous imagery and sound design then Nick Cage being wacky… and the T Rex music / rock and roll singing?

At times I was flirting with the film being ‘really quite good’ but then there would be something silly… and it sort of collapses what it had accomplished… for the sake of being tongue in cheek…? Really not sure it was worth sacrificing what could have been accomplished it they had just played it straight.

The vague direction of the film was reasonably obvious from the get go, although I couldn’t ever put a fine point on it which meant there was lots of intrigue - I did really enjoy that so would say that anyone that likes ‘ominous mystery’ should give it a watch. Just prepare to not take it too seriously - expect a goofy moment or three - and you’ll probably get more out of it.

A caveated 7/10

Last edited:
1st act - Oh my god this is so great,
2nd act - Wow this is so tense, but it's getting off track a bit, I'm doubtful they have a satisfying ending
3rd act - Yep they ruined all their good work....

Could have been one of the films of the decade.

Reactions: Kyo
2nd act - Wow this is so tense, but it's getting off track a bit, I'm doubtful they have a satisfying ending

thats exactly how i felt too.

Surprised at the overly negative reactions to this. I do agree that the story was rather 'by the numbers' horror schtick, but I loved the way it was shot and it felt quite well-made to me.

A great performance from Monroe too.

Surprised at the overly negative reactions to this. I do agree that the story was rather 'by the numbers' horror schtick, but I loved the way it was shot and it felt quite well-made to me.

A great performance from Monroe too.

Less would have been much more, I'm no fan of an open ending but this was the opposite and just went silly and over explained. It's a huge disappointment because the look of it was incredible the atmosphere was like few films of recent times.

They blew it...

Less would have been much more, I'm no fan of an open ending but this was the opposite and just went silly and over explained. It's a huge disappointment because the look of it was incredible the atmosphere was like few films of recent times.

They blew it...
Fair enough, I do think the monologue at the end was over-doing it a bit.

This sums up how I felt about it too.

I also saw the
FBI agents daughters birthday likely being the finale, almost as soon as she got the invite from the girl

Back
Top Bottom