Looking for a cheap commuter bike

Soldato
I'm after a cheap (£100 budget!) commuter bike, to do about 15 miles per day. I'm currently commuting on a folding bike, and have recently got some decent bike storage - I'm getting fed up of people on full-sized wheels flying past me!

I've tried my housemate's single speed and am fine with that. Really all I'm after is something reliable, and faster than the Dahon Vybe which I currently use.

Obviously I'll be buying second hand. Any tips on what to look out for? Anything which might show that it's been treated badly? Any brands/models which might fit my criteria?

Thanks!

Soldato
You can't really look for specific models second hand, you just have to see what you can find really. Most important thing is sizing, however. You'll be more comfortable on a bike that fits well and faster as a result. So I'd probably be deciding whether you want a hybrid or a road bike. Road bikes are typically faster and more comfortable over longer distances, but a bit less capable on rougher terrain and maybe a bit harder to find a good one in this sort of budget.

Could also be worth checking whether your employer is subscribed to a bike to work scheme, through which you might be able to get something a bit nicer.

For a rough guide of size, Evans' height charts are alright. It does depend a lot more on individual proportions though, and while a test ride can give you an idea it still won't be the full picture - especially as the saddle will need adjusting. The main thing you should be feeling for it the reach, do you feel stretched out or scrunched up?

https://www.evanscycles.com/help/bike-sizing

Soldato
OP
Nice one, thanks! When you say reach, presumably I should feel stretched out rather than scrunched up?

I'm ideally after a road bike, as I'm entirely along pretty good roads for my commute. If I stretch the budget to £150 does that help? Are there any obvious damage issues to look for on a second hand bike?

Soldato
Neither, ideally :p If you're scrunched up the bike is too small, if you're stretched out the bike is too big. You should be fairly neutral and relaxed, in a position you could comfortably maintain for hours. It's quite difficult to tell if you've never ridden a properly sized road bike before though, as they can feel quite different to flat bar bikes to start out.

What you get for your budget will depend entirely on how lucky you happen to get with postings in your local area. Check facebook listings, gumtree, even ebay. There may be a few "vintage" bikes which can do the job, but might require a bit of work. Avoid anything with steel rims really, and if you can find something from the 90s onwards that's probably a better bet. Something like a more modern Carrera TDF is probably quite common.

Soldato
I know it pushes your budget again but £249 or £299 gets you something new with a warranty from Decathlon eg

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-id_8306187.html

For a 2nd bike, you need to ride it. See if the drivetrain is smooth, does it brake nicely, do the wheels spin freely and straight? Ropey gear shifting could simply need some indexing work. If you're not happy doing that yourself, shop time and possibly new parts which could easily add £20 to £50 (or more) on the 2nd hand price. At that point you're really close to new a bike with a warranty...

Back
Top Bottom