Looking for a good 'bridge mode' home mesh wifi

Associate
I am looking to replace my Plusnet Hub One router with a BT Modem / Netgate pfSense firewall / mesh wifi

I have just returned a Nova Tenda MW12 3 pack mesh system as it refused to work in Bridge mode, and just caused my current router to disconnect itself from the internet.

Can anyone recommend a good home mesh wifi system, with gigabit ethernet ports, that works nicely with LAN devices, and is a bit more configurable than just using a phone application.

Thanks !

If your happy with WiFi5, like the MW12's, how about a Linksys Velop WHW0303 3 node mesh ?
I've just bought one a week ago to replace my old 3xMW3 + 1xMW6 Tenda mesh. All working in bridge mode and Tri-Band too.
They were available for £150 after using a code from e by eck we're in Howden Buyer or Box.

That model is actually top of my list at the moment, based on budget. I just needed to know how it handled bridge mode.
Thank you.

If your happy with WiFi5, like the MW12's, how about a Linksys Velop WHW0303 3 node mesh ?
I've just bought one a week ago to replace my old 3xMW3 + 1xMW6 Tenda mesh. All working in bridge mode and Tri-Band too.
They were available for £150 after using a code from e by eck we're in Howden Buyer or Box.

I've ordered this. The £50 off (Promo code in the blurb which seemed odd!) made this. I will report back on the bridge mode.

Thanks again

Pinkeyes, how are you getting on with the Linksys Velop WHW0303?

I've had a frustrating time with the Huawei AX3 (Pro), spent 2 hours trying to get it to talk to my VM router. It. didn't work in any mode (DHCP, static or bridged). I wanted it in bridged mode. I intended it to replace a fairly new Tenda MW12 mesh which works ok for most of the time, but suddenly decides to drop off for no apparent reason (I'm using cat 6 as the backhaul), I notice about once a day at random times. My kids reckons it lags every 5 minutes when they're playing online games. This was solved by plugging straight into the switch.

Now I'm looking at ...

I found the Linksys to be rock solid, and so far very reliable. I will try and answer all your points.

The mesh is setup and working. I think I am staying connected to downstairs unit when I go upstairs and the range is HUGE (devices only 'hop' if the signal difference reaches a certain point). If I join the wifi upstairs I join a different node.
I have one node my home office, with a HP switch connected to it, and 3 PCs plugged into the switch. Works brilliantly.
Guest mode is still available in Bridge mode. Which works well - everything in on my network is visible and no double NAT.
There is an internal web config page. It tells you to download the app everytime you log in, but the web config is very good.

As for your 'Nice to haves'
Once in Bridge Mode, there is no DHCP Server. Do this from elesewhere (Router, Firewall or Raspbery Pi-Hole)
I have got a pFsense aplicance, so once I have bought a modem, this will be replacing my ISP Router.
I think I would trust an ISP router over these mesh networks anyway.

The only downside I could give is when I got the Tenda it was seriously rapid. Web pages loaded faster than I've seen. The Linksys is still a lot quicker than my ISP routers wifi, but not as quick. So that has bugged me a little!

If I have missed anything, or you want to ask anything else, let me know :)

Back
Top Bottom