Looking for a new Chair my Steelseries Please died. (looking for suggestions)

Associate
Hi all,
Well it had to happen, I sit on this chair for 8-18 hours a day, I am 125Kg, I got roughly 3 years of use out of it (second hand bought).

Looking for something that can handle my weight and large frame.

While I would love to go the secondhand route again I am open to getting a Noble Hero.

It has got to be hard wearing and very comfortable.

Associate
Hero has the 2 year warranty, I've been happy with mine after a year now, though only 90KG, though even if it did break after warranty the arms are easy to replace and other parts seem to be plentiful due to so many styles of Hero all using the same/almost the same base.

Soldato
What has gone on it as most of these higher-end workstation chairs can be serviced?

I couldn't sit in a gaming chair for long periods like you mentioned not enough adjustment.

Associate
OP
What has gone on it as most of these higher-end workstation chairs can be serviced?

I couldn't sit in a gaming chair for long periods like you mentioned not enough adjustment.
Back left side bar holding the back on has snapped, both armrests are now held together with duct tape as the foam has fallen apart, Something has snapped in the lower part of the chair.

I think the Please chair is rated for 120Kg I am 125 and during stream my dog likes to sit on me + 12kg or if it is berty + 30kg

My own fault.

Associate
I've just returned a humanscale freedom, I'm 6'3" and 105Kg and it didn't suit me at all. The arms, in particular, are only hight adjustable and didn't go high enough for me to type comfortably, plus the pleather covered pads felt horrible. If you go that route make sure you try one first or at least have the option to return it if it's not right for you.

Associate
For reference, you can definitely work full time and game those types of hours in a Hero as I've done it this past year. Mine's worn in so comfortably I even fall asleep sometimes in upright position if working too late.

I think like most things a lot is about opinion and how well a chair suits the individual.

Associate
OP
Okay still looking because I like the look of the Steelcase Amia it is now between that and the hero, my only concern on the Hero is the comfort of the seat

Associate
From briefly sitting on a please V2 which I'm sending back due to it being broken but also due to it being no where near as comfortable as my Hero. I would say the Hero is much much higher quality in terms of seat pad compared to the please.

If you look closely at the hero seat pad it's foam supported by elastic belts whereas the please is foam supported by a plastic base. So with the please and most other office chairs the foam compresses to the plastic and after a while wears out do you are sat on the plastic. The Hero is harder wearing thicker stronger foam and there's no hard pad under it.

Associate
From briefly sitting on a please V2 which I'm sending back due to it being broken but also due to it being no where near as comfortable as my Hero. I would say the Hero is much much higher quality in terms of seat pad compared to the please.

If you look closely at the hero seat pad it's foam supported by elastic belts whereas the please is foam supported by a plastic base. So with the please and most other office chairs the foam compresses to the plastic and after a while wears out do you are sat on the plastic. The Hero is harder wearing thicker stronger foam and there's no hard pad under it.

The hero i had was like sitting on a concrete slab, suffered for over a year thinking it would soften up but never did and im not light at 18 stone.

Currently sitting on a steel case amia and find it much better for the booty, the back shape is also more pleasant than the straight back of the hero.

Associate
The hero i had was like sitting on a concrete slab, suffered for over a year thinking it would soften up but never did and im not light at 18 stone.

Currently sitting on a steel case amia and find it much better for the booty, the back shape is also more pleasant than the straight back of the hero.

I think comfortable is completely subjective, I find the Hero really comfortable but I'm 12 stone. I had a look at the Ania it doesn't seem to have any lumbar support or for the shoulders and neck.
I never found the Hero hard to start with though and I don't think it has softened up not that I can notice. You mention the back on the Hero is straight, it actually has a slight curve to it and using the adjustable lumbar support I find really helps, I only have it slightly adjusted.

Ultimately as Human beings we aren't designed to sit down for long periods of time.

Associate
OP
@Calranthe What's your budget?
I actually ended up going for the AKRacingMax will do a review of it after using for a month, it is really comfortable, large, the lumbar pillow fits me fine and it comes with a 5 year material 10 years steal frame warranty.

Yes it is quite stiff using the same kind of cold pressed foam but I only notice it after 4 hours in the seat.

Associate

Yes the foam does wear out, it does in all furniture are you not comparing a worn out Please seat cushion with a newer Hero chair? If you wanted to you could quite easily pick the foam you want and reflock the seat cushion at any point in its life an upholsterer can advise you on foam density even memory foam or different layers bonded together if you want it.

Associate
The chair was reupholstered, I don't see why anyone would waste money and time doing that in an already expensive 2nd hand chair. Seriously the Please was flimsy could bend parts of the back with one hand, it wobbled all over the place (bad design).

Associate
The chair was reupholstered, I don't see why anyone would waste money and time doing that in an already expensive 2nd hand chair. Seriously the Please was flimsy could bend parts of the back with one hand, it wobbled all over the place (bad design).

Reupholstered is just the fabric, if they reupholsted a chair that was 15yrs old then you got 15yr old padding hardly surprising its got an uncomfortable seat I bet it felt like you were on the base. The back on my chair doesn't wobble at all sounds like they sent you a right old mess of a chair you definitely did the right thing sending it back that's not right.

Associate
Sorry but reupholstry covers padding too, yes it was a right old mess of a chair. I'm so happy to have replaced it with another Hero but my bank balance isn't

Back
Top Bottom