1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a pipe key on my laptop?

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by Mason64, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Mason64

Hitman

Hi

I have a laptop and I need to use the pipe key in the terminal and for some reason, I can't find it on my keyboard. Done a few google searches but nothing is coming up that helps apart from programming the terminal to map the key.

I will be using a lot of different servers so atm this is a final resort.

The key I mean is " | " (copy and paste it before someone asks you have already typed it hehe)

please find below a picture of my keyboard - the laptop is an Acer Aspire S 13

[​IMG]

2. no idea what

Sgarrista

Does the key above the return key do it?

I had an MSI laptop which didn't have one, was hugely annoying.

3. Mason64

Hitman

nope tried that one thank you. tried that key with both control keys alt keys and alt gr and yeah its very annoying. I love this laptop too!

4. no idea what

Sgarrista

Are you using Windows on the laptop? It should be relatively easy to Remap a key with software.

5. Feek

Commissario

It's an US keyboard layout so you need to set it as that and then the key above the enter key should do it for you (shifted backslash).

6. LuckyWig

Associate

ASCII code hold Alt Gr + type 92 on numpad

7. AmateurExpert

Gangster

What Feek said - you may find it listed as one of the "English (US)" variants. Setting this in your desktop environment's settings panel should do the trick, but there is the rare chance that your terminal program fails to pick up that setting, so you might have to google how to set that if that is the case (I've seen this once before).

I'm currently typing this on a English (US) keyboard and I can type | (pipe) using that key across my desktop programs including gnome terminal. Keep the English (UK) setting as an alternative profile though, otherwise you'll find typing "£" gets to be rather tricky.