Looking for hardware advice

Associate
Hi guys (and gals),

I'm new here and would like to run a few questions by you experts. I'm not a total hardware noob - I know most of the terms and usually have at least some idea of what most are about - but I'm not at the cutting edge and nor do I know what's considered the best in the way of graphics cards, RAM etc. at the moment.

Here's my system:

ASUS A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3800+, 2.41 Ghz, Socket 939 (Venice)
Club 3D ATI Radeon X800 XL PCIe 256 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB total: (using 3 out of 4 RAM slots)
1 x Kingston HyperX 512 MB module DDR 400 (PC3200)
2 x generic modules 512 MB DDR 400 (PC3200)
Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
Ultron UN-550PFC PSU (550W)
40 GB Samsung SATA II HDD, 8 mb cache
40 GB Hitachi SATA I HDD, 8 mb cache
160 GB Western Digital HDD, 8 mb cache
NEC 1760NX 17" TFT monitor
Sony DVD-RW + Samsung CD-RW
Logitech Z 560 400W, THX surround sound speaker system
Antec P160W-EU mid-tower ATX gaming case

My first question is: if I made one single hardware upgrade (e.g. more RAM, new video card) and my aim was better overall gaming performance (fps I suppose), what would you recommend? Let's say I've got £300 to spend.

If you say a new video card, what would you recommend? I play Rome Total War most of the time so I really want better performance in that (and I've heard elsewhere that Nvida cards are better for RTW), but I also play Call of Duty, Freelancer, various WW1 flight games, American Conquest. I'd also like a card which will handle Medieval 2: Total War, the successor to RTW well.
I hear that ATI cards are better for AMD systems - would you agree?

If more RAM is the best choice, what would you recommend?

In this connection, I'm probably looking to move up to 2 Gb anyway at some point. Would I be better off buying up HyperX (3 more 512 MB sticks) and discarding the generic RAM, or should I forget HyperX and buy a 2-Gb dual-channel set by someone else? How do you rate HyperX? I don't see it much mentioned in these forums.

At the moment, my 3DMark scores are as little as half the scores for some other systems using similar or even identical components. I have no idea why this is, but I'm not overclocking any of my hardware.

I may try later when I feel more adventurous, but right now, I'm interested in buying my way to better performance.

Thanks for any advice you may have! :-)

Cheers, Englaender31

Why not change both Ram & Gfx:

MY-046-GL GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS3 (GE2GB3200BDC) (MY-046-GL)
£89.95 £89.95
GX-044-CO Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-044-CO)
£184.95 £184.95
Subtotal £274.90
VAT £48.11
Total £323.01

By the way, these two are both on this week only!

Monstermunch said:
Why not change both Ram & Gfx:

MY-046-GL GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS3 (GE2GB3200BDC) (MY-046-GL)
£89.95 £89.95
GX-044-CO Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-044-CO)
£184.95 £184.95
Subtotal £274.90
VAT £48.11
Total £323.01

By the way, these two are both on this week only!

Hi, thanks for this recommendation. I'd like to get a few more opinions first though.
I'd also hope to hear people's opinions on HyperX.

Could I ask what made you recommend an ATI card over Nvida and isn't CAS of 3 not the optimum?

Thanks!

Englaender31 said:
Hi, thanks for this recommendation. I'd like to get a few more opinions first though.
I'd also hope to hear people's opinions on HyperX.

Could I ask what made you recommend an ATI card over Nvida and isn't CAS of 3 not the optimum?

Thanks!

True, CAS2 is much better but out of budget for both upgrades!

However I would still say that both upgrades I suggested would be a much better performance increase than a single better upgrade!

As far as the gfx card issue goes, IMO ATI offer much better image quality and they can do AA & HDR at the same time, whereas Nvidia can't.

Last edited:
Monstermunch said:
True, CAS2 is much better but out of budget for both upgrades!

However I would still say that both upgrades I suggested would be a much better performance increase than a single better upgrade!
also worth noting that the GeIL 2GB kit should overclock relatively easily and you should be able to drop the CAS 3 down to 2.5

Back
Top Bottom