Looking for some ideas

Associate
I'm looking for a new laptop, something built extremely solid that will last, I can go up to £2000 really. Just wanted some ideas, I don't need any links or anything, I can find them myself, just some names of models maybe... Currently, I have a HP nw8000 Mobile Workstation which is built extremely strong.

Things I don't need/want are
- touchscreen
- tablet functionality
- rough-style like the toughbook
- ULV processors

Things I need are
- 17" or 20" screen (this is critical)
- integrated webcam
- decent processor (anything above 2.0GHz Core2Duo)
- decent graphics (although I definately wont be gaming, I still need something with its own dedicated memory etc so it runs irrespective of the system... I had a 6200 Turbocache once and the screen would freeze even in 2D when the computer was under load)
- high quality screen (none of those 6-bit cheap LCDs like in the standard Macbook) resolution isn't so important, so long as it's above 1680x1050 then I'm happy (i.e. no need for any crazy 1920x1200 screens)
- Good battery life (i.e. preferable above 3 hours)
- Relatively portable/light (i.e. like how the 17" Macbook Pro is slim and light for its spec etc)

I don't mind about installed software etc, I'll be sorting that out myself. I know the Macbook Pro is probably one of the best options, but any other ideas? I was looking at the new HP Mobile Workstations too. But I thought maybe some of you guys would also have ideas :D

Associate
OP
I'll definitely look into the Precision. I bought my mum an older model of those a while back and she's very pleased with it. I think they're solid too. And yea, 3 hours is a big ambitious... it's just my brother's Powerbook 17" does 3 hours quite easy and I think the new MacBook Pro 17" can as well, although, not heavy duty work... but 3 hours browsing/email is what I'm aiming for I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll have a peek at dell's site :)

Back
Top Bottom