Looking for someone to work with on a online free betting project

Associate
I've been toying with an idea for some time. By day, my I'm a software engineering working at a bank on Java based APIs. I enjoy eSports, football (playing and watching), and gaming/gambling.

In my spare time, I am working on a little project - The general idea at the moment is to make a free online betting site (or an app) where users can bet in 'coins' 'gold' or some fake currency, probably which regenerate at some rate in case they lose them all. They have no value at all, so hopefully no licensing is required (Although i'll take any advice on that).

Users would be able to set up bets against each other, with other users (or mechanical turk) acting as a decision service. At the same time, it should be possible to bet against the house on popular events like football matches - this should help as I can imagine initially the site would have not many users.

At the moment, i've created an API, hosted on AWS and it's about half way there. But, i'm no UI developer and anything I create looks awful. I've put some time into learning a little bit of angular and did knock something up, and then I switched and decided to use react.js, but the learning curve for these is big and it's not my forte. The API currently exists on AWS - I am a certified solutions architect and enjoy playing with the AWS platform. I've also registered the domain "betr.io". The API currently pulls odds from jsonodds.com and is able to allow users to place bets against it, which are then paid out to the users if they win. Jsonodds.com gets odds from a range of real bookies, so the odds on the api are made up of an average of these to make them realistic. The code for registering users and login etc using JWT is all there.

Perhaps, in the distant future, it would be nice to have an affiliate scheme to some real bookies or something to monetize it, but for the time being, it should be considered a fun project. I'm happy to continue to pay for AWS and the jsonodds subscription, and to go pretty much 50/50 with someone with some experience (fresh out of uni or between jobs maybe) wanting to join in. I'd like to see it as fun, just something you are interested in and a CV builder - with the potential to perhaps some day make something out of it, but there are no promises or solid expectations. I'd happily go down avenues someone else likes and i'm up for any suggestions.

I'm also open to anyone who fancies using the API to create a mobile app instead of a website, or perhaps both - on the same terms that it's a joint project and anything that comes out of it is shared.

I'd like to make it clear again; i'm not looking to make money out of it right now - If that's something that drives you then perhaps that can change, but my main driver is to make something fun that people use and to learn a few things along the way.

Any ideas / suggestions or questions are welcome :). I'm happy to share the current API architecture if it's of interest to anyone.

Associate
OP
Excellent! An easy way to chat in a bit more detail might be through slack. I already have a slack chat which I use to keep in touch with some devs from the company I used to work for - perhaps that's a good place.
The address is: https://nottinghamdevchat.slack.com

I believe you will need me to send an invite (I tried making it public, I can't). For that - i'll need an email address I can send the invite to.

I don't mind working on it with a few others - it doesn't have to be just 1, so perhaps we could look at a site and an android app.

I'll happily drop my email in here in case you don't want yours public. It's my username @gmail.com.

Back
Top Bottom