Looking For X99 Board - Any Suggestions?

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting an X99 board for the 5820K and see some pretty wild pricing with some good prices and others being really expensive.

Looking at the X99 Strix Gaming, Gigabyte SOC-Champion and MSI XPower Titanium.

Which would you recommend? I know the platform isn't the latest but the 5820K is still ample for gaming tasks.

Associate
I would personally stay away from Asus boards when it comes to the X99 platform as the failure rate seems a tad high. I've had a pair of them stop booting for no apparent reason and everything was running stock (Asus X99A and also the X99A II)…. Luckily my processor didn't fry which seems to have happened to a few people with Asus X99 boards. I ended up with an MSI X99A Gaming 7 in the end and it's been fine so far apart from an odd booting issue with a Corsair keyboard (I'll put it down to Corsairs iffy firmware).

Look up Asus X99 red LED faults and the "00" code. I never got the "00" code with mine, they just ended up refusing to boot/POST for some unknown reason.

Associate
OP
I would personally stay away from Asus boards when it comes to the X99 platform as the failure rate seems a tad high. I've had a pair of them stop booting for no apparent reason and everything was running stock (Asus X99A and also the X99A II)…. Luckily my processor didn't fry which seems to have happened to a few people with Asus X99 boards. I ended up with an MSI X99A Gaming 7 in the end and it's been fine so far apart from an odd booting issue with a Corsair keyboard (I'll put it down to Corsairs iffy firmware).

Look up Asus X99 red LED faults and the "00" code. I never got the "00" code with mine, they just ended up refusing to boot/POST for some unknown reason.

That's a good point. After posting this I read about ASUS boards frying the CPU as a result of overvolting. Ended up opting for another manufacturer and probably going to order the Gigabyte X99-SOC Champion soon. Seems like a solid board with lots of diagnostic options.

Soldato
I've had an MSI X99s SLI Krait and an Asus X99 Pro. Neither are "high end" X99 boards but both been absolutely perfect with my 5820K.

I'd probably just go with what is available and cheap. FWIW the X99 SOC is an E-ATX board so make sure it fits in your case.

Associate
Look for brand support, Your needs in a X99 board and then your own trust as with pc hardware you have to estalish awareness on what different manufactures do for you overall. You might get lucky and you got a part that will last 10 years. Maybe the support is non existent and so forth.

Soldato
Not cheap but the best X99 motherboards I had were:

Asrock Extreme 11 - Flagship board
Asrock fatal1ty gaming - Super fast and great overclocker
Asrock X99E ITX a/c -ITX Goodness

I’ve had many motherboards from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and EVGA.

Asrock are by far the most feature rich and fast motherboards I’ve ever come across. They have an ‘Ultra fast’ boot option in the BIOS that’s is so quick, they have to provide you with a Windows utility to enter the BIOS as POST is so quick.

Soldato
Both my Asus Sabertooth X99 (random freezes) and my friend's Asus X99 Rampage V Extreme were faulty. I too have heard that Asus had problems with X99. However, my Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion has been wonderful. I ordered from here last summer when it was on sale at a ridiculous discount.

Back
Top Bottom