Looking to buy extra ram to go from 16gb to 32gb. Wanted advice on how best to do so.

Associate
I currently have 16gb " Team Group Vulcan TUF Gaming Alliance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C19 3600MH" from overclockers abour 3 years ago. Unfortunaly i cannot find the exact same RAM so i would have to get something different. Can anyone recommend what i should get to avoid conflicts/issues?

Other specs are: AMD ryzen 7 3700x 8 core processor 3700 Mhz
Nvidea Geforce RTX 2070 Super
Motherboard is the B450 Tomahawk Max

As an example would these "https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...ddr4-pc4-28800c14-3600mhz-dual-my-001-8p.html" work? Made by the same company and the same clock speed.

Thank you! :)

You need to match the timings as close as possible and they will work at the slowest one available but you are likely to run into problems unless you relax the timings on the tightest kit (and I am not sure how to do that is it is even possible).

As @Tetras mentions, get a 32GB kit for about £80, sell the 16GB kit for £20/£30 to set off the cost to about £60 for a matched 2 stick 32GB kit like the Kingston HyperX Fury Renegade

The safest option is to sell it and buy 32GB (2x16).

It is too expensive, you can get 32GB for less.
Hello, thank you for the response. Oh okay - My motherboard is now getting on, are you able to recommend a set of 32 gb ram that will work with the rest of the set up without issues? @Noughtboy mentions the Kingston HyperX Fury Renegade for example would that be suitable?

Edit: Now i look it looks like that kingston hyperx fury is £140 not 80 as menioned unless i am looking in the wrong place

Last edited:
My motherboard is now getting on, are you able to recommend a set of 32 gb ram that will work with the rest of the set up without issues?

If you want to guarantee (as far as you ever can) that the RAM will work with no issues, you have a few options:

1. Buy a part number that is on the motherboard's QVL.
2. Buy a part recommended in a configurator (e.g. Crucial and Kingston), which I believe with Crucial used to come with a compatibility guarantee.
3. Buy a part that meets the CPU's stock specification and does not require XMP/EXPO to work, but you will lose some performance (especially in games) by doing this.

That said, at this point AM4 is pretty mature and you have a fairly late motherboard, so the chance of any 32GB DDR4 kit not working (that is not made by a manufacturer we've never heard of) is fairly small.

Hello, thank you for the response. Oh okay - My motherboard is now getting on, are you able to recommend a set of 32 gb ram that will work with the rest of the set up without issues? @Noughtboy mentions the Kingston HyperX Fury Renegade for example would that be suitable?

Edit: Now i look it looks like that kingston hyperx fury is £140 not 80 as menioned unless i am looking in the wrong place
Sorry my bad. Was in 16GB mode when I looked it up and the others around it being 32GB when I went back to check the prices of 32GB kits just read it as 32GB.

There are four different Lexar and Corsair 32GB kits for the same price (£80-£83). Any one of them should suffice

Back
Top Bottom