Looking to get my motorcycle license, advice needed please

Permabanned
Hi all,

I'm 31 and for one reason or another have never learned to drive, but I would quite like to get my motorcycle license to still enjoy that freedom.

I have a provisional but I haven't taken any further steps yet, from my understanding I would need to pass my CBT, then two practical tests and a Motorcycle theory and then I can drive motorbikes up to a certain CC, is this correct? If so does anyone have any advice on the best motorbike to start off with? Ideally i'd like to pass asap as I'm really keen to get started, is there a general expected time frame from start to finish for an average rider?

Thank you for your help! :)

Soldato
There will be a lot of useful information in the sticky: Important Stuff: *** How to obtain a bike license ***

However, I do know that the first post on that sticky is no longer accurate regarding licensing. As you are 31, you are old enough to qualify for direct access to the 'full' A motorcycle licence, allowing you to ride any power or engine size of motorcycle upon passing your tests: see here

Most schools will offer a concentrated course following a CBT and theory. Pass your CBT and theory, then they will give you all of the lessons plus tests in a week or two. As you have no driving licence at all, I'd estimate that you're looking at least two weeks of tuition to ride and pass confidently, I would suggest doing lessons over a longer duration rather than an intensive course. Bikes hurt, can get you into trouble quickly when inexperienced, and you want to learn how to ride properly than rushing it.

Given your lack of driving experience, I would recommend doing your CBT first before committing to more lessons and costs. The CBT will include all of your equipment, is one day and £130, and requires no further commitment from you. Some people love the idea of motorcycles, but brick it when they try to ride one.

Before I can advise on what type of motorcycle you'd likely to enjoy:
Where do you live, city or rural? Where are you most likely to use the bike?
What are you looking to get out of motorcycling, are you the adventurous type or are you into the performance/speed aspect?

Man of Honour
I'd agree with getting a CBT and a 125cc bike of some type for a year or so. While you are old enough to go Direct Access I think the lack of road experience means you would benefit from a low power bike to get the feel of the road and also to just see if you like it before spending a lot of money (buy used rather than new so you don't lose much money if you decide you don't like it). Or maybe even a scooter would suit you if you are in a city. I've recently started riding (on a 125 rather than DAS) and absolutely love it. Give the CBT day a try and go from there. If nothing else it's a fun day out.

Associate
Do your car test, get a car.

As much as I love bikes as machines there is just no good practical use for them. As Scythe said, get a bike be ready for the pain.

Direct access is a ridiculous dumb **** idea, if you do get on a bike, start small.

Also, no matter how cool your bike is, the gear you need to wear will make you walk funny and you will look like you have crapped your pants.

Last edited:
Associate
Agree with the others about starting small for a year. At 30 I decided to get my big bike license after never having ridden a moped before. Did my CBT followed by the big bike tests and purchased a 600 Gixxer thinking I was old enough and responsible enough to ride it. To this day I don't know how I survived that year as my lack of experience and the speed and acceleration of the thing was immense. I got into a number of situations like running out of road while cornering at speed, some of the others I won't mention. I also dropped it after having a tank slapper pulling out of a junction in the wet on a new rear tyre, how I didn't get run over I don't know. If I hadn't started big I think I would still be riding bikes to this day, but parts were so expensive and I could t use it for work so I got rid of it not trusting myself. Long story short get some experience on a smaller bike that you won't mind so much if you do something like drop it.

Soldato
I started biking at 46.
I driven cars since 1989 and ridden skinny wheeled push bikes all my life. It’s not the same as a motorcycle admittedly but at least you know where to look for danger on the road - that bits the same, as is wet roads grids etc.
I love biking, it’s given me back the simplicity that was missing from driving and vehicle maintenance.
I bought a sensible bike after dropping my GS 3x (brave as a 1st bike I guess).
I now have the GS & a BMW R850R.
Biking is totally unforgiving, it punishes mistakes and lack of attention with the potential for death.
It’s not for everyone.
I pick & choose the times I go out.
I have ridden in the rain & cold, had lessons in the rain & cold but I avoid it where I can.

Soldato
A road cycle (push bike) now feels dangerous to me after a few years of riding motorbikes. At least you can keep up with traffic, command a road position and you have options to brake or accelerate.
A push bike you are totally at the mercy of what is passing you.
You also have lights, indicators a horn and ppe.

Soldato
Since you don't even know how to drive, might be wise to just get a provisional licence, CBT and an 125cc scooter so you don't even have to worry about gears and can focus on getting used to ride on the road.

Back
Top Bottom