Looking to get this build but got questions - advice needed

Associate
Hi All,
Im looking to get this set up bought and built by overclockers and have a few questions, i have a little knowledge of systems but not enough, i currently have an alienware R9 setup (i7 9 series CPU and 1650Ti GPU) with a alienware 2720H monitor on 240Hz 1080P, alienware keyboard, mouse and headphones so quite an upgrade.
the games i play are warthunder in the main with world of warcraft and city skylines thrown in and would like the ray tracing aspect.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £3,821.80 (includes delivery: £11.99)​

My questions are
  1. With the CPU theres lots of talk about the 7900x3d burning out with OCing, i dont plan to OC but am concerned about long term degradation of the chip am i correct?
  2. With regards to the GPU is it a good 4080 or are there any better options (not just price but performance)?
  3. Ive gone for 6000mhz memory but am i correct in saying the motherboard will only run it at 4800 unless i activate EXPO (which i dont really want to do as i believe this is part of the CPU burning problem)?
  4. Is the AIO cooler overkill (i liked the look of it) and will it fit in the case ive chosen?
  5. Is the monitor a good choice for the £500-£550 bracket for 1440 gaming?
Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Andre

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ive gone for 6000mhz memory but am i correct in saying the motherboard will only run it at 4800 unless i activate EXPO (which i dont really want to do as i believe this is part of the CPU burning problem)?

Yes, I believe so, or maybe 5200 which is the highest stock speed. If you have an updated BIOS then it should be fine to enable expo, but no harm in leaving it at stock for the time being.

Is the AIO cooler overkill (i liked the look of it) and will it fit in the case ive chosen?

Can't see anything that is a problem.

Personally, if you like playing games like WoW and Skylines I'd be more inclined to have 64GB of memory than to get the 7900X3D (over the 7800X3D). The 7900X3D and 7950X3D are more for half-productivity builds than a purely gaming-oriented system.

I believe Asus are making 12/16 pin adapters available for this PSU, not sure how you get one.

and would like the ray tracing aspect.

Not sure how it is going work out this time around, but higher-end RDNA 2 cards are now beating Ampere with ray tracing enabled in some games, which they weren't at release, so that might be something to be aware of if you're going nvidia by default.

Suggested changes:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £3,345.71 (includes delivery: £11.99)​

Back
Top Bottom