Losing a beloved pet.

Caporegime
BuCC3Ko.jpeg
I had the awful experience of putting my 12 year old White German Shepherd Marley down yesterday.

My own vet had diagnosed bone cancer although that said, he was relatively healthy still albeit completely deaf and practically blind he was still wanting his treats and food but, unfortunately had completely lost the use of one of his front legs and was increasingly struggling to get up and around and really struggling to do his business quality of life ultimately so , after a lot of soul searching we took him on his final journey yesterday.

The vets we used, Animal Trust Shrewsbury, were fantastic.

We were guided into a side room dimly lit with nice photos on the walls, nothing like a vets surgery, just a quiet place for him to pass.

Marley, my boy, was sedated which was good as it then took them nearly an hour to find a suitable vein, clearly his blood pressure had dropped significantly, at one point we thought the sedative alone would send him on his way, he didn't feel a thing, I just had his head in my lap as he snored loudly.

The vet said this was a sign that he was considerably more poorly than we'd realised which was actually something of a comfort as I'd been struggling with the decision I'd made and was really unsure that I was doing the right thing, after the effective overdose of anaesthetic was applied, I literally felt him go in my arms, peaceful to the end.

I had done the right thing.

But, my God, the grief last night was unbelievable, I actually surprised myself just how upset I was, eventually phoning work at around 9pm to say I couldn't come in today, in fairness to them they were fantastic about it, wholeheartedly understood and felt I'd made the right decision.

There was no way I'd have been safe driving a truck today!

My saving grace is I had two White Shepherds, my boy is gone now but thankfully I still had my girl to come home to, although she is 11, they don't tend to live long into double figures so it's likely I'll have all this again far too soon from now. :(

Watching her hunting the house for him was sad to see, but understandable.

So there we have it, a big part of my life gone, not forgotten, whilst having pets is wonderful, it's so very hard to see them go.

Rest in peace my beloved boy.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the empathy and support, and indeed sharing your own thoughts and experiences, it's heartbreaking and I'm still very much mourning Marleys loss.

My worry now is my other White Shepherd Roo who's plainly missing him terribly, she's barely eaten a thing since I came home on Monday without him.... :(

It's times like this when I remember what a wonderful community this forum is.

Again, thank you all.

Paul.

Last edited:
97I6Aug.jpeg
My fiancée with Marley, in the vets, just prior to his sedation.

How I hate myself for what I have done, no matter how much I appreciate it was the right decision.

She was terrified of him when we first met...

How he changed her!

Last edited:
I'm afraid its part of the process.
You made the decision thinking of Marley and what was best for him. I bawled for three days after losing my first dog. Remember they cannot hep themselves so we have to help them. I promise it gets easier. Hang in there.
Thank you man, but, by Christ, it's so damn hard.... :/

Again, my heartfelt thanks and appreciation for all the support and messages, I've read each and every message and am touched by the outpouring and shared experiences.

One thing it's taught me that the feeling I have isn't going away any time soon, I still feel so very empty and lost without Marley, out of my two he was the affectionate softy, Roo, my girl, is very much Mrs Guard dog, always has been!

She comes for a fuss as and when she wants one whereas Marley just wanted attention all the time!

I'm pleased to say at least she's eating now although still wanders the house looking for him and she still looks past me when I come home as if to see if he's behind me, it's quite something to see, she clearly knows her companion is absent.

Quite absurd in a way for a 6'3" 19 stone 53 year old trucker to still be randomly bursting into tears over him, but, I am.

Anyway, again guys, my heartfelt thanks to you all. :)

Back
Top Bottom