Lost my love of gaming :(

Soldato
I've been a keen gamer ever since I got my NES, sunk soooo many hours/days/months of my life into gaming. Now, I just can't be bothered.

It annoys me that I've lost my interest, I've got a great catalogue of games available to play across many formats, I just don't have the desire to actually play any of them. I know it sounds stupid, but gaming has always been my release, my escape.

Anyone else in the same boat? Hopefully with a bit of time, I'll get back into it.

Soldato
OP
Take a break, i always find that helps with this kinda thing.

Alternatively bog yourself down with life responsibilities and you'll soon be keen to get lost in some game.

None of these new titles draw me in, i loved Doom 2016 but can't even bring myself to play the new one at £15! It's really hard to get that "yeah, awesome" feeling when you're older, especially if you've exhausted nostalgia routes.

I was lucky to discover Stalker only a few years ago. I've been playing Anomaly a lot (by my own standards). What an atmosphere!

Plenty of life responsibility already bogging me down, don't need any more :p

Hopefully a break will help reignite gaming

Soldato
OP
May have found a way back...

Back around 2005 sort of era, I always used to look at the Rock laptops in the PC mags, desperate to own one but could never warrant the then £2k+.

Picked one up the other day in need of a little love, and now have it running perfectly. Using it for some old RTS games, and loving it!! :p:p

Soldato
OP
I think I've fallen out of love with gaming again, I just can't get in to anything. I spend more time looking for games than I do playing them. Anyone else do the same?

Starting to annoy me now, so rather than try and force it I'll just take a break. Really annoying :mad:

Soldato
OP
All the above a valid points and I don't disagree however I think the cost versus expendable income plays a big factor too. I think most posters on here are a little older than the standard gamer. 30 / 35 plus (some of us 45 plus!). When we were kids we'd get one or two new games a year as they were so pricey and I think we appreciated them more.
I've said it on here loads but games to me these days are a fraction of my everyday bills. I bought COD MW3 last friday. Was $79. I spent more going out for a few drinks with the Mrs that night. Its less than a case of beer and half a tank of petrol. My monthly internet bill so I could download the stupid thing and eventually actually play it is $99!
Material items that cost very little hold no intrinsic value. This is pushed even more by Gamepass that most of this forum seemed to have gotten three years of for the equivalent of a couple of quid a month, join that up with the vast amount of filler on there coupled to modern day super quick download speeds and titles become throw aways. I do it myself. Open the app on my phone at work, pick something to download and play when I get home. Get through the tutorial mission and go meh, boring, delete.
Exactly that! I swear NES and SNES games were £40+ when I was a kid (47 now), and like you say had a couple a year.

I have Gamepass but haven't switched on my Xbox for probably 2 months

Soldato
OP
@thepigf@rmer That's an interesting reply, thanks for taking the time. Really pleased to hear of your recovery, I'm sure it's been a tough journey.

I still have a huge interest in gaming, I really enjoy watching my children on the Xbox. Switch has been my main console of choice for a few years now, and really enjoyed having a Steam deck early on this year - thinking about picking up another, but will give it a few months. Handheld is the future for me, allows you to drop in and out the easiest while working around family and work.

Soldato
OP
Ok, got it back now!

After grabbing a Steam Deck again I'm loving playing through Far Cry 3, while adding more to the pile in the sale.

I probably still spend more time browsing games than playing, but the joy and escapism is back :D

Soldato
OP
I suppose that's another reason. I'm married with daughter. As much as I'd love to lock myself away for hours to absorb myself in a game, I know that's pretty selfish of me so I just tend to play 1 to 1.5 hours per sitting. Already mentioned earlier but I work full time so at the end of the day, I'm mentally tired and just can't be bothered. I'd rather just sit on the sofa in the evening rather that stimulate my brain further. If I was younger it wouldn't be an issue :p

Yep, exactly the same here but with 3 kids. That's why handheld gaming us do perfect for me.

Soldato
OP
Has the love returned and did any specific game(s) help?
It has indeed! The Sniper Elite series has grabbed me, but the winning combo is Switch and Steam Deck. Handheld mobile gaming is the only way I can really do it, and it's enabled me to play at any point I get 5 to 30 minutes to myself.

Playing Tom Clancy's Wildlands at the moment, really enjoying the massive open world.

Soldato
OP
Good stuff sir, big fan of the Sniper Elite series. You should also try the Zombie Army trilogy if you haven’t already if and when they’re on special.

I haven’t played my Deck for a while I need to go back and try and finish Octopath Traveller 2 and have some and have a play with some old SNES classics.
I'll pick up the Zombie Army one, thanks for the recommendation - I'll get it for my Switch. As much as I like the Steam Deck, the Switch is my favourite console if I can get the game on it. Played Sniper Elite 2 to 4 on the Switch, then 5 on the Deck.

Back
Top Bottom