• Yes V6 FE Manual - 5k paid

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes V6 FE Auto - 5k paid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes i4 DCT FE - 2k paid

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Still thinking about and NO deposit paid

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • 2k Deposit paid but making no decisions yet, holding out.

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
I hope they get this spot on. Love to own a Lotus one day, itch to scratch, but just never found one that get’s me to that point for one or another reason.

Pics I have seen make it look good and their build integrity has been solid last few years. Just need some space for touring, a decent driving position and a relatively easy in and out ideally married to some decent interior tech. I know it will drive exceptionally and handle like a dream.

Soldato
Very much looking forward to this, but dissapointed it's just a half step not the full new hybrid everyone expected. I think it's going to be an Evora 2+0 with a nicer interior? Having said that if they do a Cayman GT4 esque spec sign me up!

Man of Honour
Very much looking forward to this, but dissapointed it's just a half step not the full new hybrid everyone expected. I think it's going to be an Evora 2+0 with a nicer interior? Having said that if they do a Cayman GT4 esque spec sign me up!
That is what they should target. I think they will struggle to capture GT3 and GT3 RS buyers, but GT4 competitor would be perfect.

Needs to be easier to live with, which the Evora was but it needs to look better and be a step up inside.

Soldato
Shame they scrapped plans to revive the Esprit (production stopped because Renault shutdown the gearbox assembly line back in 2003).

Man of Honour
Shame they scrapped plans to revive the Esprit (production stopped because Renault shutdown the gearbox assembly line back in 2003).
I think McLaren has made it hard for Lotus. They have done an incredible job of creating Lotus V2.0 type cars with all of the bits added Lotus missed….but still with lots of Lotus reliability :D

Soldato
I think McLaren has made it hard for Lotus. They have done an incredible job of creating Lotus V2.0 type cars with all of the bits added Lotus missed….but still with lots of Lotus reliability :D
Perhaps but Esprit driving DNA was incredible ;)

I used to own one as a daily driver even to the supermarket ;) until the engine blew up at ultra high speed (due to not being serviced properly the **** of a mechanic skipped on checking the valve clearances timings but still charged me the full whack :mad: the engine then went out of balance, big end bearing exploded bending the entire camshaft into something approaching a corkscrew :eek: destroying the entire bottom end :mad:). I had already spent about £35K on repairs up to then (new flywheel, clutch caught fire damaged the flywheel, new clutch, £££ expensive gearbox repairs & many other niggly little things) so enough was enough it got sold as scrap I took a massive £££ loss on it! Those Stevens Esprits are incredible driving machines & feel like proper F1 cars on UK roads as they are so low & planted into the corners due to the massive tyres & low centre of gravity. Acceleration as well was something else due to the massive torque & twin turbos.....;)

If anyone ever thinks of getting a Stevens Esprit now they have some spare cash & are older & wiser & want to tick the dream car box you need really deep pockets to run & maintain one let alone insure!!! Every 6K they need a proper service & cambelts need doing every 24 months to be on the safe side. So many had issues from lack of servicing & maintenance as many owners are unprepared for the Ferrari level ££££ of labour & spares costs! You could easily buy another vehicle with what it cost to run an Esprit for a few years in the UK :eek:

An old mechanics joke was that Lotus stood for: Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious :p

Soldato
Sad time that the current cars are coming to an end. The Elise and Exige will never be replaced by an EV, it's not possible to make something like that :(

The modern ones are pretty reliable. Not like the Esprit and K-series days. Toyota engines and gearboxes and I think they also switched to Toyota electronics some time ago. The only part which has gone wrong on my Elise since I've owned it is the electronic throttlebody (made by Denso), which let water in because someone at the factory forgot to install it's gasket :D

Yea but they are like twice the price for no extra fun :p

I think the Emira will be good, but it's not going to be a lightweight with the current EU regulations. Even the 4c using carbon fibre wasn't as light as the Elise.

Last edited:
Soldato
That is what they should target. I think they will struggle to capture GT3 and GT3 RS buyers, but GT4 competitor would be perfect.

Needs to be easier to live with, which the Evora was but it needs to look better and be a step up inside.

Pretty much my thoughts, McLaren are like Lotus with a bigger budget. I really want a 570s to replace the 4C but the Emira could be a much more sensible option. Rumours so far suggest the engine options will be A45s 4pot with flappy paddles or Exige V6 Manual. Shame as I’d want the V6 with DCT ideally!

I’m actually amazed it hasn’t leaked yet. Shown to press last weekend and presumably sat on a trailer at Goodwood right now waiting to be unloaded, still know nothing really.

CO4zNZo.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps but Esprit driving DNA was incredible ;)

I used to own one as a daily driver even to the supermarket ;) until the engine blew up at ultra high speed (due to not being serviced properly the **** of a mechanic skipped on checking the valve clearances timings but still charged me the full whack :mad: the engine then went out of balance, big end bearing exploded bending the entire camshaft into something approaching a corkscrew :eek: destroying the entire bottom end :mad:). I had already spent about £35K on repairs up to then (new flywheel, clutch caught fire damaged the flywheel, new clutch, £££ expensive gearbox repairs & many other niggly little things) so enough was enough it got sold as scrap I took a massive £££ loss on it! Those Stevens Esprits are incredible driving machines & feel like proper F1 cars on UK roads as they are so low & planted into the corners due to the massive tyres & low centre of gravity. Acceleration as well was something else due to the massive torque & twin turbos.....;)

If anyone ever thinks of getting a Stevens Esprit now they have some spare cash & are older & wiser & want to tick the dream car box you need really deep pockets to run & maintain one let alone insure!!! Every 6K they need a proper service & cambelts need doing every 24 months to be on the safe side. So many had issues from lack of servicing & maintenance as many owners are unprepared for the Ferrari level ££££ of labour & spares costs! You could easily buy another vehicle with what it cost to run an Esprit for a few years in the UK :eek:

An old mechanics joke was that Lotus stood for: Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious :p

Wasn't the v8 (guessing as you mention the twin turbos) the Julian Thomson styled car?

Soldato
I’m actually amazed it hasn’t leaked yet. Shown to press last weekend and presumably sat on a trailer at Goodwood right now waiting to be unloaded, still know nothing really

Should still be at Hethel I think, staff preview is tomorrow (we’ve always been told we’d see it first so if your claim that the press have already seen it is true then that’s a bit naughty) although as it’s a digital event due to COVID I think we’ll just be seeing pre-shot video footage rather than seeing it properly. Launch event is on site tomorrow evening so I’m pretty sure there will be a car there (I’m only IT so have no real inside info - don’t even know how many cars they’ve built for the launch)

Soldato
Should still be at Hethel I think, staff preview is tomorrow (we’ve always been told we’d see it first so if your claim that the press have already seen it is true then that’s a bit naughty) although as it’s a digital event due to COVID I think we’ll just be seeing pre-shot video footage rather than seeing it properly. Launch event is on site tomorrow evening so I’m pretty sure there will be a car there (I’m only IT so have no real inside info - don’t even know how many cars they’ve built for the launch)
Bunch of YouTube’rs saw the car last weekend of June, in the metal. Unless they’re lying! Presumably to all release basically the same video at the same time when the NDA lifts tomorrow.

Soldato
Wasn't the v8 (guessing as you mention the twin turbos) the Julian Thomson styled car?
Stevens Esprits (its an owners or ex-owners term to differentiate between Giugiaro S1-S3 shape or the redesign!) were both V8 & 4 cylinder. Julian Thompson added a new rear wing & some different body panels but exterior wise the cars looked very similar (unless you know what to look for!). All Lotus did for the last 15 years of the Esprit's lifetime was just update some of them body panels only the V8 arriving caused a major change then cancelling the entire S4s series.

Russell Carr (now head of design at Lotus2014-present) did the final Esprit 2002 redesign which added a fancy curved rear bumper & central exhaust as well as round integrated rear tail lights.

The movie Pretty Women caused a massive North American spike in Esprit sales around the same time the Stevens facelift launched. The previous classic wedge shape was based on the 1977 007 movie The Spy Who Loved Me! Giugiaro did this classic design which was way ahead of its time but lacked power to match looks & not until the early 1980s when Lotus added a turbo did it suddenly have the performance to match!

Best 4 cylinder cars are the S4s or Sport 300 both have savage raw power & great handling. Expect to pay £60K + for a decent well looked after model!!

V8 engine is a monster & detuned (from 500BHP) to only produce 350BHP otherwise the drivetrain snaps (lot of owners found out when they tried to up the power!). But V8 handling is not really as agile as the S4s & Sport 300 due to the increased weight & axle redistribution.

Renault UN1 gearbox is the reason Esprit's got cancelled in 2004 as Renault no longer wanted to maintain the production line for such a low volume of Esprits & no other gearbox fits the design so Lotus had no choice but to cancel it :( if anyone who owned a Stevens Esprit ever needed a gearbox part which was out of stock all they had to do was find a breakers with Renault 21s in as same gearbox in them :p

Soldato
Pretty much my thoughts, McLaren are like Lotus with a bigger budget. I really want a 570s to replace the 4C but the Emira could be a much more sensible option. Rumours so far suggest the engine options will be A45s 4pot with flappy paddles or Exige V6 Manual. Shame as I’d want the V6 with DCT ideally!

I’m actually amazed it hasn’t leaked yet. Shown to press last weekend and presumably sat on a trailer at Goodwood right now waiting to be unloaded, still know nothing really.

CO4zNZo.jpg

I thought they partnered with Renault/Alpine, not Merc for this one. AFAIK the new Alpine was going to be a sister car.

Soldato
I thought they partnered with Renault/Alpine, not Merc for this one. AFAIK the new Alpine was going to be a sister car.
We'll find out soon but everything I've heard has been Merc/Volvo interior components + the entry level engine will be the M139 4 pot and gearbox. I think the Renault/Alpine stuff will be the next car, full EV and SUV etc.

Soldato
We'll find out soon but everything I've heard has been Merc/Volvo interior components + the entry level engine will be the M139 4 pot and gearbox. I think the Renault/Alpine stuff will be the next car, full EV and SUV etc.

Maybe but Lotus don't tend to like using turbos so it's unlikely to be in standard format :)

They are annoyingly good at keeping things secret :/

Back
Top Bottom