Low Carb High Protein Questions

Associate
I've been doing some research over the past week and have decided to go on the low carb high protein diet so i can lose fat and gain fitness hopefully. I've read around and have a couple of quick questions to ask you.

- Some sites say strictly no fizzy drinks, just water. I looked at some diet choices and they show that they have a trace of carbs in them so does this mean that there ok?
- It says your allowed 20g of carbs. Is this per day or per week? Also, do you add 5g to that after you have done 20g for a certain amount of time?
- Lastly, i was just wondering how long it would take to see the effect, i.e. how much are supposed to lose in weight per week.

The reason i am trying to lose fat and gain fitness is because i would like to join the Royal Air Force when i have got the right qualifications, and obviously will need to be in the peak of fitness when i apply :).

I was also wondering if some of you have some good tips to this diet. Any special menus that taste good.

My current diet is pretty much bacon, eggs and tuna. This can only last so long before it starts to get extremly boring.

All the help is much appreciated.

Associate
OP
"Another good approach is a diet based around the principles of Ketosis. The most famous of these diets being the “Atkins” diet. Despite its over-hyped media coverage and the subsequent bad press it has received, it is actually a very safe and efficient way of losing fat. All recent research done into such diets has proved to be very positive. Atkins did not invent the Ketone diet. Bodybuilders have been using it for decades. He just brought it to the publics’ attention.

On a ketosis diet the idea is to cut carbohydrates drastically. To counter this one must up their protein and fat intake in order to make up their calories. Having a diet high in protein and fat will actually suppress your appetite which can be highly beneficial. I won’t go into the science behind ketosis diets as you can easily find out more just by searching on Google for them."

Taken from the excellent guide in this forum.

Associate
OP
The information i have been looking says 20g or less for the first 2-4 weeks.

I weigh about 15 stone and i am 6'3".

Currently i am eating the following:

- 2 Eggs for Breakfast
- Tuna Salad for Lunch (Tuna, Lettuce and Cucumber)
- Prawns for a snack
- Some kind of meat combination for tea

Associate
OP
Thats the typical day when on a diet. I do not currently know if i am losing weight because i have only been on this diet for little less then a week. Before the diet i was having no breakfast, stupid amounts of soft drink, for dinner i would usually have a sandwich from the shop and for tea normally something consisting of mash potato, peas and something else meat related.

Associate
OP
The reason i didn't want to start weight training is because i didn't think it would lose fat, just gain muscle on top of fat. Also it's best to eat more callories when weight training.

I suppose i could do light weight training, focusing 1 day a week on different muscles. such as monday for arms, wednesday for legs and friday for stomach.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments.

I will take your advice and up the carbs i have per day. I was just wondering if there is a diet any of you advise? The thing is i find it hard to just "eat healthier" i prefer some guidelines like don't eat this and your allowed to eat that. Part of the reason i went on the Atkins diet. I want to gain fitness and a little bit of muscle and lose about 2 stone of my overall body weight, which with the added muscle will be about 3 stone in all. I need to do this by September at the latest because that is when my application needs to go in by. I will be going shopping on Saturday so if you could suggest things i could buy that would be great. I'm deffently going to cut out the sugary drinks and have water most of the time which i actually enjoy drinking and maybe some diet soft drinks on the odd occasion. I don't drink alchol too regularly so this shouldn't be a problem. also about the training, i was thinking should i do cardio and muscle training together? If so i can do cardio 5 nights a week and muscle training 3 nights a week.

Once again thanks for the help, i will indeed quit this diet but i desperately need a new one. It's not a very good social diet either, as the restrictions are high and i have read over the "Atkins" thread a couple of months back and they all say they regained the weight and i really do not want to be on low carbs for the rest of my life.

EDIT: After reading the guide once again i looked in to the C-K-D diet, low carbs in the week and lots on the weekend? I don't know if this is as bad as the atkins but would suit me quite well as i would normally drink/eat out with friends and family on the weekends.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi, i have read it again. The problems i'm having is getting a plan, i have an obsession with having everything written down in front of me, and i like a week plan that i can stick to every week for pretty much the rest of my life.

My weight in pounds is 210lb. Multiply this by 12 = 2520 Callories per day. I thought this was way too high when i saw it so i'm not quite sure if this is right. I can eat 5 meals a day no problem and will be able to keep in the 2520 limit. I would have thought i could do under 2000 but i'm sure for me if this counts as too low.

I will do weight training 3 times a week and cardio as often as possible.
The weight training will come from GordyR's Guide and will be as follows:

Monday (Chest/Shoulder/Triceps)
Wednesday (Back/Biceps)
Friday (Legs/Abs)

I have all the gear i will need to do the training in my garage. I have a punch bag hanging up which i use very often, pretty much everyday for about half an hour. I am going to purchase a treadmill and bike as there is a good offer on at the minute in a local store. Hopefully i will be working out a lot more. I also have one of those all in one weight machines, arms, legs etc. On top of that i have a bench and dumbells so i am not lost for equiptment by any means.

Also, im guessing i should eat more Protein/Low Fat meals. What are these like, Pasta, Peas and Fish ? something like that. I don't mind having a tuna salad everyday for lunch or something of that nature.

I'm sorry i keep talking about this but i've come across another point, he says in his guide that eating all your carbs in the day and cutting them out in the evening is a good way to go. I may do this, as i will have my carbs for the day and in the evening i could have a nice tuna/prawn salad instead of lunch.

If any would be kind enough to draw out a guide of foods to keep in my limit of calories it would be much appreciated, or any other tips would be great. Thanks for the advice on what i should do, very helpful indeed.

Hope this sounds good.

Associate
OP
kk, i'll fiddle around with it a little but it seems good, anyway of checking the cal's? any good websites with cal's of different foods etc, then i can post a weekly plan to see if you like it.

Associate
OP
Thanks, i'll put together my week based on cal's and my training, hopefully you can tweak it a little to make it better as i will be doing the shopping for the week on Saturday and will start this new diet on Monday.

Associate
OP
Hi, i've been looking at example cutting diets and found this one:

06:30am :

45 mins of gentle cardio (walking uphill, jogging slow, cycling)

07:15am :

40g Whey Protein in water,
40g Oats in water
1 Cup green tea
1 Small Grapefruit

10:00am:

100g Tuna in Olive Oil with a small salad (tomatoes, leuttice, cucumber)
Handful of Almonds
15ml Flaxseed Oil

01:00pm:

100g Mackerel or Salmon
100g Fibrous Vegetables
1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter

04:30pm:

1 Large Chicken Breast
2 Slices Wholemeal bread

05:00pm:

Training (weights or more cardio)

06:00pm:

40g Whey in water
20g maltodextrin
20g dextrose
Creatine
Vitamin C

06:45pm:

75g wholemeal pasta or brown rice
150g chicken breast or 150g lean beef
Loads of vegetables
Some fish oils (O3 epa,dha)
1 Cup green tea

09:30:

200g cottage cheese
25g Almonds

This looks ok for me however i will need to make a couple of tweeks around school times, i can do this exact diet on sat-mon and i will need to change the times on tue-fri as im in lessons from 9-11.

A couple of other things places are telling me to take multi vitamins and minerals which seems like a good idea these wont affect my diet in anyway will they?

Plus, i was thinking of some alternatives to the cottage chesse, almonds, green tea and peanut butter as i do not like any of them. I could live with the tea for a while but twice a day everyday is a bit much for me as i don't like tea at the best of times.

This is for a 200 lb person and is a little under 2500 cal's i think so it should work fine.

Associate
OP
Hey, thought i'd post an update on the progress.

I started the new diet last saturday, bought loads of stuff. Been having mainly chicken, tuna salads with two pieces of wholemeal bread for two meals and then some veg with chicken/beef for the other and of course breakfast and a little something after it all.

I've been on this one week and i think i have been rewarded to be honest. Lost 2lb, which i think is pretty decent, also, i feel a lot better, no tiredness what so ever. I've been taking multi-vitamins and A-Z Minerals each day in one tablet i think they have made a difference, but yeh i'm please to say this isn't even a chore if you know what i mean, i dont feel hungry at all and i like all the foods i'm having.

I'm starting to do cardio this coming week in the morning and weights or cardio at night also. Hopefully my total weight loss will stay around the 2lb mark whilst losing more fat and gaining more muscle, but we will see.

Also, in the morning i have whey protein with oats like in the example i gave. I'm just wondering how much water you should put in lol. If it's enough for it to be like a drink, or like a cereal, or a little amount just to wet it and mix the whey and oats together as i'm not entirely sure.

I've bought the flaxseed oil, creatine, malt and whey from a health store. The creatine says take 3x3 a day for first week, then 2-4 a day there after. Just wondering if theres a different dosage as my aim isn't to really body build. This is what the kind lady said at the store. I may just leave the creatine out for now depending on whether it is that neccesary or not.

Lastly, just like to say thanks for steering me away from the "atkins" diet and advising me to go on this one. :D.

Back
Top Bottom