Low idle power ex-office PC recommendations for server?

Associate
I'm looking to get a cheap PC to use as a server to do NAS (3 bay would be ideal) and docker (for VaultWarden and Immich).

Does anyone have any recommendations on an ex-office PC that can just be bought second hand around £100 and has low idle power consumption (hoping for 15w - 20w without spinning drives here).

I'm looking at an HP Prodesk 400 G5 i5 8500 in the tower version (MT, not micro or SFF). Anyone got one and know its idle power and how easy it is to shoehorn a third drive into it (I'm pretty sure it has the headers, but not the cage)?

I've thought about a thin client but they wont fill the 3 bay NAS needs.

Soldato
I had (a while ago!) the SFF version for a few months running UnRAID, with a four port NIC (which prevented the CPU from going into full idle C10 state) and a single 2.5" HDD, it was in the high single digit range. It completely empty (no disks or NIC) it was 5W or so.

If the Tower version hardware is the same should be looking at the same numbers, but you have to make sure the OS your running on it has all the power saving stuff turned on, as that made ~5W of difference for me, i.e. 15W to 10W.

Last edited:
Soldato
i might suggest a

Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF​

its old but has enough space you can get some storage in if your good with that. depends also on the type of storage your planning to use.

HP Proliant N54L comes to mind though

Soldato
Associate
OP
From what I recall the HP data sheets also show some detailed figures.

See: https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c06339658.pdf

Thank you, that data sheet is excellent! I saw a couple for Fujitsu Esprimo machines and tried to look for the dell and hp ones but clearly I didn't look hard enough!

Not sure why the tower uses 5W more than the SFF..!

Maybe a different PSU? The extra fans perhaps?

Still looks good clocking in around 15w idle.

Associate
I have a HP ProDesk 400 G7, has 10th gen i5, two SSDs and NVME and idles around 10W. Think it has 3 SATA ports (one is for the DVD) but limited power, so you'd need an adapter. Alternatively can add a M2 to PCIe to get a 4th in that way.

Back
Top Bottom