LPCAMM2 is here!

Associate

The future is here for laptop memory, better in pretty much every way and a nice alternative to this new soldered on trend!

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

RAM design really hasn't changed that much in decades as it's been a long thin slot in piece for so long so going to CAMM2 is huge even for the desktop. I really like it as it can provide very fast speeds and tons of capacity all on a single piece that's still interchangeable. I really hope this becomes the new standard as it's definitely an improvement. Really can't see any downsides whatsoever with this plus being a thin board it can be very nicely hidden into the board design with a nice heatsink for an even cleaner look.

No worrying about running in dual channel, mismatching modules and capacities, no more large heatsink clearance issues with air coolers, shorter traces for much faster speeds so hopefully better compatibility/reliability and all on a single small board that can still provide well over 100GB+ capacity right now, what's not to love about it I'd honestly change my board today for this tech if it was an option and I've only had it two weeks.
My thoughts exactly

just have to hope this tech gets adopted quickly and becomes the norm very soon

The big question is why?
The applications for a format like this are limited so unless it provides a strong value proposition away from laptops I don’t see much of a future. Its not a solution to anything that is real issues.

Graphics cards or add in boards with upgradable memory is solution people have been asking for a long time. The question is would AMD, Nvidia and Intel get behind something like this?
thats like saying why upgrade from pcie 3 to 4?

its faster and better in every other way

why would you be an enemy of progress?

Because it’s not better in every way as discussed. Why would I make sacrifices, to pay slightly less for a motherboard?

If CAMM allowed for upgradable memory on a GPU then sure, that is a solution to an actual ongoing problem and maybe worth buying into.
nobody is asking you to make sacrifices.

new boards that come out should take advantage of this new tech, the old one can stay as is

Back
Top Bottom