Luther.

Caporegime
New season started tonight (June 14th) on BBC One at 9.00pm.

Available on BBC iPlayer shortly after :D

Luther is a British psychological crime drama television series starring Idris Elba as the title character Detective Chief Inspector John Luther. A first series of six episodes was broadcast on BBC One from 4 May to 8 June 2010.

Thought I'd start a new thread about it. Missed it at 9.00pm so will download it on iPlayer tonight. Really looking forward to it. Brilliant first season.

Soldato
Oh look, a maverick cop who doesn't play by the rules whose hunches somehow manage to be absolutely correct every time. And look, his boss is an exhausted yet sympathetic bureaucrat who is constantly having to clean up after his mess. And they're always at odds you say? That's novel.

Soldato
Oh look, a maverick cop who doesn't play by the rules whose hunches somehow manage to be absolutely correct every time. And look, his boss is an exhausted yet sympathetic bureaucrat who is constantly having to clean up after his mess. And they're always at odds you say? That's novel.

You're right, it's completely like every other cop drama out there.

Oh wait. It's not. I hope you watched the first series before coming to that conclusion.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, I plucked out of thin air.

Of course I watched the first series, and it was chock full of cliches. A brilliant performance by Ruth Wilson and Idris Elba doing his best Tortured Deep Voice wasn't enough to stop me from getting incredibly fed up with how he figured anything out within ten seconds of looking at it.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as stellar as it liked to think it was. I'll probably watch the second series, but I don't expect it to ever rise above "watchable" for me.

Caporegime
OP

Of course I watched the first series, and it was chock full of cliches. A brilliant performance by Ruth Wilson and Idris Elba doing his best Tortured Deep Voice wasn't enough to stop me from getting incredibly fed up with how he figured anything out within ten seconds of looking at it.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as stellar as it liked to think it was. I'll probably watch the second series, but I don't expect it to ever rise above "watchable" for me.

I agree with almost everything that you've said Weeb, just that I thought it pulled things together very well, well presented cliches if you will. I enjoy dark brooding crime / cop drama's so this was right up my alley :)o) so to speak.

Caporegime

I enjoyed it, but I've got to agree that it's very cliched.

I was shocked and amazed to see that his marriage was in trouble. That's never happened to a cop before.

Soldato
very little original TV now, but if its well done, and the stories are thought provoking then ill watch....I enjoyed last nights episode, something about clown faces/masks that really get to me.

Associate
I had never heard of this show until last night, definitely going to keep watching. Idris was great in The Wire, and seems to play quite a convincing character here too, despite the obvious clichés the show has as mentioned.

this and the apprentice are the only things i have enjoyed watching on the bbc recently, perhaps there's more that I'm missing out on that I don't know about :o

Soldato
Definately didn't **** myself at the end...

Me neither
icon11.gif

Back
Top Bottom