Lyca Mobile compromised - Credit Card Details Stolen

Soldato
Lyca had a breach in 2023, they stated that nothing of importance had been stolen and just to change your password just in case: https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/lyca-mobile-data-breach/

Turns out credit card details were stolen

My card was attempted to be used in USA yesterday, luckily Lloyds stopped it and have cancelled my card.

I had a Lyca Esim which i use as backup sim since 2023

Reports now emerging online about this but Lyca still hush hush

just a heads up if you see any dodgy transactions, ive now binned the esim and will not be using Lyca ever again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a Lyca sim at some point but can't remember which card it was on. I think it was a revolut virtual one but it could have been my main bank card.

Lyca have been a terrible company since the horrible mishandling of the hack last year.

Hopefully this kills off the company for good.

Soldato
Well snap, had some weird 1p charge that got flagged up by Barclaycard on Saturday and they blocked it right away after I confirmed it wasn't me.

Thought might have been from the trip I had in Poland recently but I was with Lyca during the breach which was handled awfully by them.

Associate
Just got a text message from my bank today someone was trying to make a payment to METAPAY*ADS. Fortunately they caught it and have cancelled my card. I have to use Lycamobile for my smart watch as there are not that many cheap ESIM providers otherwise I would drop them.

Soldato
My friend signed up last week and had unauthorised charges on their card on Sat, starting to think there's something really dodgy going on and it's not just to do with data breach last year.

I switched to Spusu and noticed that Lyca seems to have now disappeared from usual SIM only comparison places. They've also been charging me wrong for last 2 months, customer service replied week later saying tough, you've left so we can't help you now.

Now in the news that auditors refusing to sign off their accounts.

Soldato
My friend signed up last week and had unauthorised charges on their card on Sat, starting to think there's something really dodgy going on and it's not just to do with data breach last year.
That's pretty scary to know it can still happen with new customers. Sounds like a much bigger issue with their security if that's the case.

Associate
I phoned Lyca yesterday as there is no way to cancel the eSIM online. I was uncomfortable answering security questions with the overseas contact centre, but I did, and I am half expecting to be targeted again! I told them the reason why I was leaving and they didn't dispute it at all.

Back
Top Bottom