Lynda.com

Soldato
Hi guys.

I am wanting to get into Web design using dreamweaver and while looking around at youtube videos i am still not finding everything which i may need, i am just searching for stuff i think i need to learn (if that makes sense) and just looking on Adobe website its has some snippet videos from Lynda.com.

Question is, is anyone a member or have been a member? Is it worth it from a beginners point of view? Whats your views on it.

Caporegime
I have had access to some of the courses and I found them very engrossing. I watched an Abobe Illustrator masterclass and it's astounding just how powerful that software is - I would never have had a clue what to do without some tuition like lynda.com

Right now, I'm going through the photography stuff with Ben Long. He's a great presenter and I am learning stuff all the time. $25 for a month's access to every single course is pretty amazing. Previously you had to shell out loads just for the one you wanted.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, there is a 7day free trial so i think i will take a look! I have previously been looking at youtube vids as i mentioned in the OP although they are either too old or too new and in Creative Cloud (which work wont buy). :p

Soldato
I would suggest something like Codecademy first, as it's far more involving that just sitting watching a video and typing in an example parrot style. You get a far better understanding of what's happening and why.

There are programs for HTML, CSS, JS and others too.

I wouldn't specifically look for tutorials in how to use Dreamweaver or Creative Cloud; it's akin to a mechanic learning to use a spanner instead of how to fix a car.

Caporegime
Bit of a thread revival, but has anyone found it less than straightforward to cancel with this site?

When I follow the instructions I can't see any option to cancel...bloody annoying.

Caporegime
Are these the instructions?

1. Sign in to Lynda.com.
  2. Click Hi, [Your Name] at the top right of any Lynda.com page.
  3. Click Profile.
  4. Click the Account + Billing tab.
  5. Under Account + Billing, select the Cancel link.
  6. Follow the remaining prompts to complete your cancellation.

Caporegime
Are these the instructions?

1. Sign in to Lynda.com.
  2. Click Hi, [Your Name] at the top right of any Lynda.com page.
  3. Click Profile.
  4. Click the Account + Billing tab.
  5. Under Account + Billing, select the Cancel link.
  6. Follow the remaining prompts to complete your cancellation.

Yes, but I cannot see the cancel link. :confused:

Soldato
I know it's old and only revived for info on cancelling with Lynda (which sounds concerning and maybe a reason not to start with them?) but it's interesting. When I started learning back in February I wondered about Lynda and other monthly pay sites and decided against it, favouring Udemy where you pay for each video. A lot of the video's are priced at £200, but they seem to be permanently on sale, so I don't think I've ever paid more than £15, usually £10 for a video.

Having said that, I know 'own' 21 courses. Given that a few were free with one purchase, average price of £12, I've probably spent around £192 over the last 9 months. That's around £21 a month. I would perhaps have been better off subscribing to something!

The courses are a bit hit and miss too, although any time I've asked for my money back as a course or tutor didn't work for me, they've always given me my money back.

Soldato
I know it's old and only revived for info on cancelling with Lynda (which sounds concerning and maybe a reason not to start with them?) but it's interesting. When I started learning back in February I wondered about Lynda and other monthly pay sites and decided against it, favouring Udemy where you pay for each video. A lot of the video's are priced at £200, but they seem to be permanently on sale, so I don't think I've ever paid more than £15, usually £10 for a video.

Having said that, I know 'own' 21 courses. Given that a few were free with one purchase, average price of £12, I've probably spent around £192 over the last 9 months. That's around £21 a month. I would perhaps have been better off subscribing to something!

The courses are a bit hit and miss too, although any time I've asked for my money back as a course or tutor didn't work for me, they've always given me my money back.

Lynda is great and one of the best video tutorial sites I've used, however, there's a couple of courses I've done where the presenters voice has wanted me to stab a pencil into my ear.

As for which best suits you really depends on your learning style. I like bouncing around subjects and being able to have bursts of learning so a subscription site is better for me. If you're purely interested in one subject then you'd probably be better purchasing them.

Back
Top Bottom