M27Q vs 27GL850-B?

Associate
Hi,

Currently using a iiyama 24.5 1080p 75hz monitor. Looking to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor. I'm still using my old RX580 but I plan to build a new PC with something between a 3060ti-6800 when stock is avalable.

Looking at a lot of options around the £300 mark and the main two seem to be these:

GIGABYTE M27Q and LG 27GL850-B

Can anyone tell me which of these is the best and any alternatives I should be looking at?

PC is mainly for gaming and general use.

Thanks

Cheers,

I watched the latest version of that video (among others) and he mentioned this LG not included as its £400 price tag but it must have went down in price.

Everything I search seems to point towards the M27Q but I was hoping anyone who has these monitors could weigh in as they seem very similar.

Must say though ive owned 4 LG tvs and still not disappointed with them yet.

I read some stuff about the LG having contrast issues though :(

After doing "A LOT" of research lol I ended up opting for the M27Q just now.
I didn't see many bad points about it, only issue was the BRG but apparently clear type fixes it and for gaming its not an issue :)

All I can do is test tomorrow and see if I like it or not, if not ill return and maybe see about the LG

Cheers for inputs

After using the monitor yesterday I must say it is a huge step up from what I was using.

The vibrancy of the colours just pop out and the refesh rate is 100% more noticeable.

The only gripe I saw was the text issue but after enabling cleartype and picking second option which is meant to be BGR option I looks x10 better.

I havent hooked my secondary up yet but I will test using BGR and RGB together on windows 10.

I did notice I may have 2 tiny dead pixels at top left when on a white background so rather than returning and getting another and hoping its better I may see if they will refund a portion for this.

Does dead pixels effect the monitor at all?

UPDATE - I was offered £35 as a partial refund so I would get the monitor for £293 if I wanted to keep it. They literally are tiny, here is a screenshot (Are these 100% dead pixels?):

Last edited:
After using the monitor yesterday I must say it is a huge step up from what I was using.

The vibrancy of the colours just pop out and the refesh rate is 100% more noticeable.

The only gripe I saw was the text issue but after enabling cleartype and picking second option which is meant to be BGR option I looks x10 better.

I havent hooked my secondary up yet but I will test using BGR and RGB together on windows 10.

I did notice I may have 2 tiny dead pixels at top left when on a white background so rather than returning and getting another and hoping its better I may see if they will refund a portion for this.

Does dead pixels effect the monitor at all?

UPDATE - I was offered £35 as a partial refund so I would get the monitor for £293 if I wanted to keep it. They literally are tiny, here is a screenshot (Are these 100% dead pixels?):

Any recommendations on what I should do:

A) Received this monitor for £293 and live with those two tiny dots
B) Return and exchange for another one without the pixels
C) Return and get a LG 27GL850-B as a replacement

Also I currently have my two monitors connected: Gigabyte M27Q and IIyama 24.5 Blackhawk 1080p.

You can clearly tell the 1440p IPS 144hz is much shaper and smoother and vibrant, but in terms of the text, I can't see a major difference apart from it being smaller due to resolution.

Is there a test I can do to see what this BGR issue is?

Last edited:
Worth lightly tapping the part of the screen with the dots to rule out any trapped dust particles that may have got in.

If they are dead pixels, its worth checking what the policy is for returns. Some manufacturers only return or refund if the dead pixels or stuck pixes are more than 5 (or 3) in the first year. Think its a personal preference whether you can live with a couple of them. Some might notice them every time others might not care. So its upto you if you want to go to the hassle of a full return.
You my friend, are a genius! lol

I didn't want to prod/poke the screen just in case I was returning it but I gave it a good tap there and the dots are away, loaded up dead pixel check and all colours show fine.

I suppose that's a bonus having £35 off your monitor, that can go towards a over inflated GPU now :)

Lol, glad that sorted it :). As said above, didnt look like a stuck/dead pixel so was worth a try.
When I ran the test for each colour, the fact it only showed on white gave me suspicions.. but I've never had to deal with one before so, learn something new everyday.
Seems like a very "technical" fix.
Wonder if I punch the screen hard enough it will turn into 4K ;)

Thanks again

I mean if it was me I dunno, Dead Pixels are common but then if you're going to obsess over them then is it really worth it to save £30 odd quid? Are you happy? if not then you know the answer mate. My current monitor has a dead pixel in the corner, I ended up getting a £50 partial refund, I prob wouldn't kept it regardless because it's hassle sending things back and obsessing over these small defects but each to their own. Personally I think the GL850 is awful, the contrast performance is unacceptable but then if you play FPS games I don't think it matters and the Nano Cell panels do excel in motion.
Read last comment m8, no more issue, turned out to be trapped dust behind screen :)

@Rowan88

Can you help here please?Just bought this monitor. I take it clear type has solved the text display completely?

I also want to use this for console gaming, since it doesn't have built-in speakers, can I use usb only powered speakers i.e. powering from the monitor only, not from plugging into PC?
Cleartext - All I can say is I have been using it for months now and I love it, the text doesn't seem an issue to me at all so it gets a thumbs up from me. Turn on Clear Text, pick the boxes that look crisp to you and should be good enough.

In terms of the PC speaker situation, I have not tried it but I would need to dig out some old speakers to try (dont see my Yamaha HS5s working via it).

Back
Top Bottom