Mac book pro questions

Soldato
Just got a mac book pro with 1gb RAM, 2.16 C2D and X1600 128mb, £950 brand new, not bad me thinks.

I think it is the 5400 RPM HDD version (120gb) so wouldn't mind a nice 7200, been hearing good things about the new seagates.

Will 2gb ram make much difference, I know 512-1gb was a massive jump in my mac mini, but this thing seems to fly with 1gb.

By the way...... HOW COOL IS THS THING!

Last edited:
Soldato
The performance difference in general use between 1Gb and 2Gb is less than the jump from 512Mb to 1Gb. I've had my MBP for nearly 18 months. Shipped with 512Mb and got upgraded to 1Gb within a week. When the price of DDR2 dropped through the floor a few months back I stuck 2Gb in and can't tell the difference in general use.

It's been a couple of weeks since I last rebooted and it's using around 800Mb at the moment with about 10 tabs in Safari, Mail, iTunes, Toast, Adium, Word and Azureus (total resource hog) running.The only time I need 2Gb RAM is when using multiple virtual machines.

PS They're not cool - you can burn your knees !!! ;)
The "dude, nice laptop" factor still hasn't worn off yet for me. Makes me smile after using a ThinkPad all day.

Soldato
OP
I have managed to get hold of some RAM that my brother had in his Mac mini for nothing, so thats all good, 2GB in there now. I think I will leave the HDD for now, the thing performs great.

Back
Top Bottom