Mac Pro RAM and SSD upgrade

Soldato
Hey guys,

Would a new NVME drive benefit my system?

The current 256gb SSD is good.. but a 4th gen 512-1tb does sound tempting.

And upgrade on the ram to 32gb from 16gb..

The cpu and gpu are decent but I think an NVME would help a lot?

What do you max guys think?

Soldato
i'm assuming we're talking about a 5.1 here? intel based mac.
as above really depends on what your using it for, and how you plan on connecting,

more ram is always good and the 5.1s you can load to the gills but depends what os and what mac pro your running
the dual xeon units will happily take up to 128gb (os dependant) and if your running it on something other than osx 256gb is possible with a bit of faffing about and using certain ram kits

personally got a 6 core running 64gb without any issues and a 12 core on 96gb

ignore the above completely if your using a newer model mac pro 6.1/7.1

Soldato
OP
You might’ve said this in another thread, but what do you do on it from day to day?

It’s just for the basics. Internet, music, email etc..

i'm assuming we're talking about a 5.1 here? intel based mac.
as above really depends on what your using it for, and how you plan on connecting,

more ram is always good and the 5.1s you can load to the gills but depends what os and what mac pro your running
the dual xeon units will happily take up to 128gb (os dependant) and if your running it on something other than osx 256gb is possible with a bit of faffing about and using certain ram kits

personally got a 6 core running 64gb without any issues and a 12 core on 96gb

ignore the above completely if your using a newer model mac pro 6.1/7.1

Yeah, it’s the 6,1 Mac Pro mate.

Soldato
OP
well, Monterey downloaded onto bootable USB..formatted the replacement drive on my MBA before transplanting into the Mac Pro..and 30 minutes later..

ITS ON THE DESKTOP BOYS! :D

So happy at this! RAM came today too, but between about 2-3 hours last night and then today, I will give it a break for a few hours!

Soldato
OP
running great, albeit on Monterey..no big deal. and its snappy as ever!

and to think, I was scared to try the NVME transplant, incase of compatibility etc..and I saved myself the, get this! £150 a place in Aberdeen were going to charge to essentially change RAM and SSD and put Monterey on! :cry: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom