Macaw/Weblow/Reflow etc

Soldato
Hey Guys,

I currently use Microsoft Expression Web for making web sites/pages etc

I can switch between design/code etc which also helps me learn as I am learning html/css etc also.

EW is getting a bit long in the tooth now so I am looking at getting something new.

MACAW looks good as does weblfow. Basically I want something that can let me makes sites with a GUI or delve into the code as I wish. Pinegrow also looks good.

What do you guys recommend? Not looking to spend huge amounts ala Adobe pricing but not looking to skimp either

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks for the suggestion, I like the look of Sublime Text. I also like Pinegrow.

I want something though which is a text editor with live preview for when I want to code but also a GUI builder for when I want to know a site up quickly, perhaps using a feature I haven't yet mastered in code?

Macaw seems the better choice for this? Or would something like webflow/dreamweaver be better? Macaw appears to have an easier learning curve?

I'll be giving the various trials a go but just wondering on peoples experiences?

Soldato
I've always used dreamweaver personally. There's a bit of disparity with dreamweavers "live view" and how it displays in a real browser I use lunascape and a auto reload on file change.

Code in dreamweaver hit save and see it update on all 3 major engines simultaneously.

(If I hadn't been given a dreamweaver license I would have gone for a freebie but there's nothing you can't do in it as far as I'm concerned)

Soldato
Obviously I couldn't hope to write a program like dreamweaver myself but I'd have thought they would be using the same engines as the real browsers. As such I don't really understand how it can be rendered differently :confused:.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys. Really leaning towards Pinegrow now, seems the right balance for me. Anyone used it or fancy giving the trial a go and letting me know what they think form an experienced point of view?

Soldato
Number of pages doesn't matter, content and design does. What sort of site is it?

I'll echo the above that sublime and a selection of browsers is more than adequate. If you know some html, css and perhaps php if you want pages to share some content, you could easily put something together writing the code yourself.

Soldato
OP
Bit of a thread revival but what are peoples thoughts on the likes of these now they've matured a bit?

Especially keen on people's thoughts of pinegrow as it seems to have really come on.

Whilst I am learning to code from scratch I like a programme where I can open my site folder up and navigate around it editing etc and seeing things in live time.

Associate
I don't see the value, personally.

It might be okay for the very short term where you can knock the odd thing up quickly, but you're resigning yourself to be totally dependant on that programme and the libraries it's based on.

As soon as something goes wrong or you need to do something specific for your use, you're stuffed.

Stuff like that is designed for one thing only: to look good in the promo reel to secure the license fee.

Soldato
OP
Fair enough. I do like a programme though where I can open a folder holding my site, navigate through the tree to various pages and make changes etc. What would you recommend.

Hate dreamweaver, MS Expression is EOL. Any suggestions welcome?

And whilst learning I do code using a text editor.

Back
Top Bottom