MacBook Air m1 EOL?

Soldato
Hey guys,

Considering getting a Mac laptop again, looking at a M1 air refurb. I know the latest os is supported on m1 air 2020 and newer, but how many more os is it likely to continue on?

A complete guess because I don’t think there’s any official news on this but with the intel chips Apple usually supported major updates for ~7 years from launch and minor security updates for another couple of years after that. Hopefully they’ll at least offer the same level of support with the Mx series putting it at OS updates until end 2027 (3? more updates after sequoia) and minor updates until 2029.

I’m using an m1 mba (16gb) as my main mac dev machine and it’s still very performant so I’d be surprised if they dropped support before 2027

Last edited:
it’s going to be supported for a good while. Apple have good history with product support anyway. It’s their first Apple silicon Mac product too.

Factoring in security updates only, it could be over a decade.

Last edited:
Being that the m1 to m4 are all so similar I reckon it’s going to be supported for quite some time considering getting my girls a cheap m1 air each second hand as they still perform so well for the price

My base model M1 MBA is amazing. I use it to browse the web while I'm watcing TV at night so I can catch up with things. I can see myself keeping it until it stops getting support from Apple.

I regret selling my M1 Air every day :( They're so expensive on Apple's refurb site!

funny you mentioned that..I ordered mine from currys, picked up in store today..got home, hoping for a good condition..

opened the parcel, its an Apple Certified Refurbished one!! :eek:

The only thing, is was supposed to be in Space Grey and its the Rose Gold. I was going to take it back, but everything I have is black / space grey so it kinda took me by surprise at how nice it is. so Im going to keep it.

the other thing, I'm wondering if its brand new? as I went and checked the battery cycle count on it, and its 1? :eek:

funny you mentioned that..I ordered mine from currys, picked up in store today..got home, hoping for a good condition..

opened the parcel, its an Apple Certified Refurbished one!! :eek:

The only thing, is was supposed to be in Space Grey and its the Rose Gold. I was going to take it back, but everything I have is black / space grey so it kinda took me by surprise at how nice it is. so Im going to keep it.

the other thing, I'm wondering if its brand new? as I went and checked the battery cycle count on it, and its 1? :eek:
I had all three together at launch and the rose gold was by far my favourite. I have the starlight on my m3 15" now and whilst i like it, its quite boring compared to the m1 rose gold

Back
Top Bottom