Macbook Air or SSD Upgrade

Associate
Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro, I've upgraded the RAM to 8GB but recently it has become sluggish with the Yosemite update and I'm starting to think about moving to a Macbook Air.

Usage would be mainly web browsing, photo editing with Lightroom and Photoshop, music playbook, some video viewing etc.. Nothing that needs a Retina Macbook Pro or anything super spec.

However, if I decided to upgrade my HD to an SSD would I see enough of a difference that would possibly mean purchasing an Air would be pointless. Taking out the fact that the Air is lighter and ticks more boxes I am just wanting to make sure that a simple SSD upgrade wouldn't do the trick.

Thanks

Soldato
I've recently been in much the same situation. I have considered an Air, the portability factor would be fantastic, but like many others I was waiting to see if they received a significant update.

I normally get 3-4 years from a mac before I look to update, but dropping an SSD in to my 2011 has made it feel like new. I use the Adobe CC apps quite heavily and it flies through them. It really feels like a new computer, and has most likely bought me another two years.

I have most of my data on a NAS, so went for the 250gb Samsung evo laptop kit that OcUK sell. Restored from time machine to the new drive, connected to the laptop via usb, and then just swapped the drives over.

Associate
OP
Guys,

That's great and looks like I will go the SSD route.

@bcjames, exactly what I wanted to hear, I did think about just going for an upgrade but am going to stick a 250GB SSD in and go with that.

Cheers

Soldato
personally i'd say it doesn't matter what year mac you have. if it's not got 8gb ram + SSD it's going to be sluggish.

i've a mid 2010 Mac Pro and a nice 8gb ram + SSD and it's very fast.
Ok for video editing/dvd creating it's pretty slow (2.4ghz Intel duel core) but for the majority of what i use it for i've no need to upgrade as yet.

Back
Top Bottom