1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macbook Air + Win 10 1903 (WDF_Violation)

Discussion in 'Apple Software' started by mrbell1984, May 22, 2019.

1. mrbell1984

Capodecina

Is anyone using Windows 10 on their Mac? Could you let me know your model please and did you install it via bootcamp?

The reason I am asking is I am searching for a file called MacHalDriver.sys from c:\windows\system32 but need a later version.

When installing 1903 on my Macbook Air 2011 13" model I get a WDF_Violation BSOD. One way to fix this is to replace this sys with a version from a later model.

I am booted into my mac now on 1903 with windows 10, however I have had to disable this driver until I find a later version.

Could you please upload your driver from above location please? Just this one file will be great but has to be from a Windows 10 install.

If anyone wants the .sys file here it is! I have tested and now all functions of my keyboard is now working and no more BSODS!

- ( MacHALDriver.sys )

Thanks

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. mrbell1984

Capodecina

3. noaidi

Associate

I registered just to comment on this great tip.
    Upgraded my mid 2010 (or was it 2011?) MacBook Pro from 1809 to 1903, and as many others it BSODed after entering credentials with WDF_Violation.

mrbell1984s post triggered my attention. I booted up in safe mode, started regedit and searched for the driver entry for MacHALDriver.sys --> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MacHALDriver
    Changed "Start" from 2 to 4 to disable loading of driver.
    After reboot, no more BSOD, but backlight of keyboard + F-keys didn't work.

Renamed c:\Windows\System32\MacHALDriver.sys and replaced it with the one provided from mrbell1984.
    Changed registry Start from 4 to 2 and new reboot.

Voila. Problem solved, backlight works and all F-keys + other useful Bootcamp stuff is running.
    Big thanks for this driver and pointing in the right direction :)

4. mrbell1984

Capodecina

You don't even have to do that, all you need to do is rename it. If it's renamed to .bak or something like that then that file doesn't load on startup anyway. No registry key editing is required.

5. noaidi

Associate

You are abolutely right. I disablet it via regedit as a step to confirm _if_ the driver was the issue.

6. bedouin

Associate

The newest version of Bootcamp that Brigadier offers for my machine (mid-2010 iMac) has the same version of MacHALDriver.sys from 5.1 that causes the crash on login. It looks like I'm going to have to force a newer iMac model in order to get Bootcamp 6+. The MacHALDriver.sys posted here didn't allow me to adjust the screen's brightness through the keyboard.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  7. diff.eren.t

Associate

Hello
    I have imac 27 inch 2011 and running on that both Mac OS and Windows 10 1809 and last week in windows update automatically appeared next Windows Update 1903.
    I have updated successfully and as soon as desktop ready bluescreen appeared suddenly with error message WDF_VIOLATION. It is really frustrating i had thought to save me myself from
    this error when quit Windows Insider Program but it seems that could not.

At this point please help me. Because i do not wanna clean install unless it is necessary.

Thanks a lot.

8. bedouin

Associate

Boot into safe mode and rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\MacHALDriver.sys to something else (e.g., MacHALDriver.bak). Reboot and you'll be back in business.

If you care about adjusting screen brightness from an Apple keyboard, look into some of the things mentioned above. That's the only thing renaming the file affected on my iMac. I fixed it, but probably shouldn't have bothered since I don't even use an Apple keyboard.

9. diff.eren.t

Associate

After installed 1903 i will boot into safe mood and rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\MacHALDriver.sys something else (e.g., MacHALDriver.bak).
    And Windows 10 1903 will work fine ? Just problem in control of brightness on keyboard ? If we install the latest Bootcamp we will have solved it too ?

10. mrbell1984

Capodecina