*** Macbook Pro Retina 13" ***

Soldato
Rumours from several sources keep flying in.

Supposedly:

* No discrete graphics chip
* New battery design
* As with the rMBP 15" - MagSafe 2, a pair of Thunderbolt ports, a USB port, and a headphone jack on the left and a USB port, an HDMI port, and an SD card reader on the right.

I thought discrete graphics seperated the MBA from the MBP. Sounds like it is going to be an MBA with Retina.

I have the 15" MBP with Retina display and it's going back on Monday. My first Apple computer. The chassis is loose, it creeks and it's taking longer and longer to boot into OS X.

Poor.

Associate
I thought discrete graphics seperated the MBA from the MBP. Sounds like it is going to be an MBA with Retina.

I have the 15" MBP with Retina display and it's going back on Monday. My first Apple computer. The chassis is loose, it creeks and it's taking longer and longer to boot into OS X.

Poor.

I don't think any of the MBP 13's have discrete, or at least they didn't when I was looking at them.

I also thought the MBA already had retina, or is it just a DPI that is higher then that of the MBP 13.

Caporegime
I'm really looking forward to the 13" Retina, and at the same time I'm not....or more so...my wallet isn't :p

I'm looking forward to it because no doubt it'll be a portable powerhouse which is more than adequate for almost any user yet but lightweight, thin and easy to carry around, 13"is the just the perfect size imo for traveling with.

Can't wait from a technical point of view, but financially...I'm easily swayed :p

Associate
I'm really looking forward to the 13" Retina, and at the same time I'm not....or more so...my wallet isn't :p

I'm looking forward to it because no doubt it'll be a portable powerhouse which is more than adequate for almost any user yet but lightweight, thin and easy to carry around, 13"is the just the perfect size imo for traveling with.

Can't wait from a technical point of view, but financially...I'm easily swayed :p

I am too, but fear tech wise it could fall short.

I think they will stick with dual core cpu's, no discrete gpu and a retina display of 2560x1600 (1280x800).

I feel it needs to have a quad core, at least as an option and the retina needs to be 2880x1800 (1440x900) but I'm not sure how the HD4000 would cope at this resolution though. Not long to wait now.

Jack

Not long to wait now.

Soldato
Coming from a 2011 13" MBP to a 2012 13" MBA the extra screen real estate from the higher resolution is very noticeable and far more usable. If they go with the current MBP and double it's res that would be a deal breaker for me.

Associate
I was going to get a Retina 15" MBP to replace my 2011 MBA 13", but a 13" retina might be better as long as it can handle more than one bloody USB connection and doesnt crap itself I will be happy! lol

Soldato
Coming from a 2011 13" MBP to a 2012 13" MBA the extra screen real estate from the higher resolution is very noticeable and far more usable. If they go with the current MBP and double it's res that would be a deal breaker for me.

Why would it be a deal breaker? If it's anything like the 15" you will have access to higher scaled resolutions than the doubled 1280x800 and be able to unlock the full 2560x1600 if you like.

Soldato
Nobodies complaining. Stating that if that is the max available resolution then it's a deal breaker. If it isn't and there are more options which we should find out tomorrow then it's a moot point.

Soldato
So 2560x1600 is not enough for you?

As we've already established 2560x1600 on a 13" screen is hardly going to be useable. We can continue to loop in circles if you wish.

confused.com

What resolution do you want/need?

I would have thought it was clear that I would like to see the native resolution of the 13" MBA doubled rather than that of of the 13" MBP. Capisce?

Last edited:
Soldato
No it wasn't clear at all, and since you'll be able to have scaled resolutions the same as that or in excess of it which will look a lot better than the Air as the panel has three times as many pixels I don't see why it's a deal breaker?

Soldato
uniQ said:
We can continue to loop in circles if you wish.

No it wasn't clear at all, and since you'll be able to have scaled resolutions the same as that or in excess of it which will look a lot better than the Air as the panel has three times as many pixels I don't see why it's a deal breaker?

Nobodies complaining. Stating that if that is the max available resolution then it's a deal breaker. If it isn't and there are more options which we should find out tomorrow then it's a moot point.

I like quoting myself in the circle game. Keep it up.

Soldato
It's looking likely it'll have a 2560x1600 panel like AbsenceJam says. You do realise the Retina display will be able to scale to an effective resolution of 1440x900 no problem? So it's not a deal breaker and makes the point moot.

Associate
OP
So the info is out:

.75" thick, 20% thinner than the old model, and 3.5 pounds. No optical drive and includes IPS Retina display. MagSafe 2, two Thunderbolt ports, USB 3.0, dual mics, stereo speakers.

4,096,000 pixels, 2560 x 1600. "There's never been a small notebook that gave pro photographers this kind of technology and capability."

Ivy Bridge Intel Core i5 or i7 processors, comes standard with 8GB of RAM and up to 768GB of SSD storage. Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics processor. 7-hour battery, backlit keyboard.

Starts at $1699, 2.5GHz dual-core i5, 8GB Ram, 128GB SSD. Shipping today.

Back
Top Bottom