MacBook Retina: 128GB or 256GB?

Associate
Hey gang!

Thinking of buying a MacBook Pro for work (mainly) and personal use but I'm not sure whether to go for the more expensive 256GB for extra storage space. I handle a fair bit of scientific data but most of this data would be stored on an external HDD - I would have to "process" it from the Macbook.

The difference is £200 and I'm not sure if that's justified for an extra 128GB. I guess what I want to know is whether users here regret buying the 128GB in favour of the 256GB?

I've also seen the Transcend JetLite SD cards, and I wondered if that is a viable option to increase onboard storage options?

Eager to hear your opinions!

Associate
I have a 128gb MBA and haven't regretted it once.

Just have my music and a couple of tv shows on there and have a comfy 70gb still to play with.

And as you say, a Transcend card can double your storage straight off for £65 and then there is still the matter of your two USB ports. I bought a 64gb USB 3.0 one last week from Amazon in their Black Friday week for £18.

So there are plenty of options there to keep it cost effective.

Associate
I would spend that bit extra and get the 256GB one.

I have a Retina MBP with 128GB and after my iTunes library, Adobe Suite and OS I only had about 30GB left which isn't really ideal.

Although I do agree with MacRS4 about the JetDrives, they are brilliant! I brought a 64GB one from the Rainforest and once its in you literally forget about it! Have barely noticed a difference in read/write speeds between it and my SSD either!

Soldato
The JetDrive instead of the 256GB SSD is a £30 saving on an £1100 machine (to get the 256GB SSD rMBP) and is around 10x slower.

Unless you're absolutely certain that you don't need the extra space, get the 256GB SSD.

Soldato
Surely it depends entirely on what you want to have on your laptop and how much content you have. I wouldn't faff with the JetDrive if you haven't bought the laptop yet. As an example I have about 140GB of ALAC files for my music and the same again for photo's so I need more space. What ever you want to have on it, spec it for that.

Soldato
256, definitely. I'm currently at 99gb on my pro, with a 500gb mechanical, but the thought of a 128gb hdd in my new laptop is far too close to comfort, even 256 feels like I'm pushing it!

I think 256 and a NAS will be my happy medium.

Caporegime
The SSD is a PCI model, there are few third party options at the moment. The ones that exists don't save you any money over getting it upgraded when you buy it.

Edit: Make that none for the post-2013 models.

Last edited:
Associate
Just get the 256...are you really going to miss the £200?

How big are the files you need to 'process' on the Mac?

Do you have a machine now so you can see how much space you are using?

Associate
I run a 128GB Pro. Yes I should have bought the 256GB. That said I now use a couple of Sandisk 64GB ultrafit USB 3.0 to store my photos and the like on which works fine. I also have a 1TB external drive, while you think of it as no problem to just plug it and use it, it soon became a pain in the neck hence the 64GB ultrafits. Just fit and leave. You can then just transfer to the external when required. Much more convenient.

Back
Top Bottom