Macbook Suspend V Laptop Hibernate

Soldato
I know when I open my laptop from when it hibernate as I use this rather than rebooting it normally take around 10 - 15 secs to able me to start using.

How long does Macbook take to start using from opening up from suspend?

Soldato
OP
I believe most people suspend there macbook dont they? Some say it boot as soon as you open it like about 2 sec then you can starting using it. Like on my xp pro laptop it take about 15 secs at least before i can do anything

Soldato
Modern portable Macs actually suspend to ram (suspend in Windows terms) and suspend to disk (hibernate in windows terms) simultaneously. This basically means if you only have the machine sleeping for a short period then wake up is instantaneous, but if you leave it long enough for the battery to die then the machine just resumes from disk instead. You can simulate this by popping the battery out while the machine is asleep, it takes about the same time as Windows does to restore from hibernation (although I would say it's 'usable' more quickly once resumed.)

The battery life while sleeping on the Intel Macs isn't really all that good though compared to the old PPC ones so I quite often use DeepSleep to override the default behaviour and just suspend to disk when I know I won't be waking it up until the next day or so.

Older portables actually had a second battery to keep the RAM alive for a short period while the battery was dead/disconnected.

Soldato
OP
So how long can the new macbook sleep on the battery then before it runs out does it drain that fast or it can live quite long?

Soldato
Rookies said:
So how long can the new macbook sleep on the battery then before it runs out does it drain that fast or it can live quite long?

I've never actually timed it, but there's generally not much power left to do anything meaningful with if I leave it for more than a day or two. The old PPC ones used to last for more like a week. I assume the new, faster, RAM drinks more juice than the old stuff.

I mainly suspend to disk when I know I won't be using it the following day, or if I know i'm going to need battery power the next time I use it. There's nothing worse than pulling out your swanky MacBook only to see a red battery as soon as it resumes :)

Soldato
OP
Well I am always using my laptop all day and every day so i am closing and opening quite a lot this the reason it interest me...

Also how long does battery last on macbook then around 4 hours?

Soldato
Rookies said:
Well I am always using my laptop all day and every day so i am closing and opening quite a lot this the reason it interest me...

Also how long does battery last on macbook then around 4 hours?

Between 2.5 and 4 hours of 'active use', depending on how much you push it.

Soldato
OP
Beepcake said:
Between 2.5 and 4 hours of 'active use', depending on how much you push it.

So if I was just emailing, and browsing the net it could last me 4 hours

If I was to do some iTunes work like cd ripping and transferring them to Ipod it could maybe last 3 hours. I dont very often do heavy stuff. Now again I do Photo Shop stuff when i be out with my digital camera. NOW that another thing would my canon Digital Slr pickup on the Macbook?

Man of Honour
to be honest, if you're using it all day i've only ever found one laptop which survived all day (an IBM with an extended battery) so you're best bet is taking the charger (at least it's compact compared to windows ones) and using it wherever possible.

in general i've never found apple battery life to be wonderful, particularly since the intel swap. it's not bad by any means but not great either...

EDIT: yes, you're dslr will work fine, you might like to look at aperture if you take your photos seriously, it works great with my d200

Soldato
bigredshark said:
to be honest, if you're using it all day i've only ever found one laptop which survived all day (an IBM with an extended battery) so you're best bet is taking the charger (at least it's compact compared to windows ones) and using it wherever possible.

in general i've never found apple battery life to be wonderful, particularly since the intel swap. it's not bad by any means but not great either...

You'll have to watch it with comments like that in here.. saying the MacBook battery life is anything other than amazing usually gets the rose tinted boys' backs up ;)

If I know I'm going to be away from power all day I'll usually take my Dell X1 with the extended battery, I can get pretty much a working day out of that, and it's tiny.

Soldato
Rookies said:
So if I was just emailing, and browsing the net it could last me 4 hours

If I was to do some iTunes work like cd ripping and transferring them to Ipod it could maybe last 3 hours. I dont very often do heavy stuff. Now again I do Photo Shop stuff when i be out with my digital camera. NOW that another thing would my canon Digital Slr pickup on the Macbook?

The camera will be picked up fine, and will give you the option to import straight into iPhoto or Aperture if you have it. I personally prefer the card reader route though.

Man of Honour
Beepcake said:
You'll have to watch it with comments like that in here.. saying the MacBook battery life is anything other than amazing usually gets the rose tinted boys' backs up ;)

If I know I'm going to be away from power all day I'll usually take my Dell X1 with the extended battery, I can get pretty much a working day out of that, and it's tiny.

absolutely, mine was an ibm x40 with the extra super long life battery and i got 9+ hours out of it...and it's still tiny

Soldato
I often find that if my mac goes to sleep after running out of energy it can more often that not last the night without charge and then in the morning i plug it in and open the lid and its back on with no trouble just a very low battery, so it clearly doesnt use much energy

Back
Top Bottom