MacPro with 27" Cinema Display

Associate
If i walked into an Apple store and bought a new MacPro,could they also sell me a display? As the the MacPro does not have a Thunderbolt connection,and the new display is not backwards compatible with mini displayports.
Or am I looking at this wrong :confused:

Associate
No i'm not going to.Just looks like you cannot buy an Apple display atm to go with your shiny new MacPro.They are selling brand new "obsolete" stock.

When there refresh for all their computer hardware is done, they will all be fitted with a Thunderbolt connection, same with new Windows kits and stuff, they will soon be introducing Thunderbolt i suspect, or at least in the near future.

Commissario
If you want a 27" ACD for a Mac Pro then they'll sell you one. I don't know if stores will have them in stock but they are definitely available online as an option when you select the Mac Pro.

Soldato
I would imagine if they add Thunderbolt to the next Mac Pro, it will be as an extra rather than replacing the regular display ports all together.

Now that Apple have no Xserve, this is their Server product and also their most powerful Workstation. It would be no good if it was Thunderbolt only, making it incompatible with most displays in a work environment.

Soldato
Am I confusing it with something else? I could well be having a senior moment!

features_ports_13inch20110224.jpg

Soldato
I knew I was being a 'tard!

Apple being apple, they probably won't release any kind of PCI style thunderbolt card so you can go fit TB to older machines?

Associate
To cover this situation Apple are selling the older 27in ACD and the thunderbolt version along side each other. For the the same price. That way you can choose the correct one for your mac. :)

Associate
To cover this situation Apple are selling the older 27in ACD and the thunderbolt version along side each other. For the the same price. That way you can choose the correct one for your mac. :)

I was about to say the same thing =] They have no plans as of yet to scrap the non Thunderbolt one yet.

Although worth bearing in mind...as far as I know you can only daisy chain TB displays together. So if you already have a 27" ACD for your laptop and want another, you'll have to sell one so you can buy 2 of the same.

Back
Top Bottom