Mad to leave an easy job?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Two jobs have gone around work this week and both sound quite cool, I'm tempted to go for one.

At the moment I'm working for the desktop support team in the IT dept, although I don't really do much support work as such now seems to be a lot of development.

But I'm bored out of my head. I sat there today, feeling ill with a bloody cold, and was just bored. I don't dislike what I do, I don't hate it like some do, it's just not interesting anymore. On the plus side it's an easy job, with no pressure (although I miss a bit of pressure) and for what I do the money is ok.

Jobs that have come up are totally non IT, one is a buyer in the procurement dept and the other is an "Asset Engineer" which looked quite cool. Pay is a little more in these but you are in a higher pay bracket so in theory ti should be easier to go "higher".

It's mean doing more work and leaving my "comfort zone" but maybe I need something like this to pick my interest up again?

I'm just finishing a major project atm so that is contributing to the lack of work, so I could wait around and see if something interesting comes up for me to do, but then if it doesn't and these jobs have gone I'm back to square one :)

Man of Honour
sounds to me you need a move. But to a different area, or a more challenging job in a similar area, is the decision you need to make.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
OP
AcidHell2 said:
sounds to me you need a move. But to a different area, or a more challenging job in a similar area, is the decision you need to make.

Yeah that's what I was thinking :/ Not too easy to move companies down here as there aren't many relative to the bigger cities. I've been doing this 3.5 years now and while it's nice I don't really have to think about much as I've learnt it (if that makes sense) it's a bit, well rubbish really :)

Going to mull over those two jobs tomorrow I think, commodities buyer one sounds quite cool, but I get my own technician with the other job ;)

Man of Honour
Ev0 said:
Going to mull over those two jobs tomorrow I think, commodities buyer one sounds quite cool, but I get my own technician with the other job ;)

I would apply for both, go to the interviews, ask lots of questions. Ask if you can have a look around the departments and speak to the team. You can always turn a job offer down.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Evo I know exactly where you're coming from as I'm in a similar position. What I'm doing is easy money, I don't work particularly hard (about 2 days a week and I earn a living from it) but it's beginning to bore me to tears. There are only a limited number of other things you can sit back with and fit in the spare time and I think sometimes you need a change or you will stagnate. I've definitely dropped into that, I've become unmotivated, boring and stressed which has led things to drop downhill. Sometimes change is good and now sounds like a better time than ever for you, you're motivated to go for it and realising there are other prospects out there. Leave it too long and you'll just be sitting there bored and complaining about the place. Give it a go.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
OP
AcidHell2 said:
I would apply for both, go to the interviews, ask lots of questions. Ask if you can have a look around the departments and speak to the team. You can always turn a job offer down.

Yeah, good thing is in my current job I get to meet and interact with every department so I do know the teams etc, although recently it's directors I've had the most dealings with, need to get in with some of the function managers :p

The only other crucial thing I forgot about would be that the biggest change would be to leave my current team as they are also my closest friends, but maybe that's not a bad thing.

Cheers for the advice everyone :)

Permabanned
Being unhappy at work can lead to unhappiness in other areas of your life too, been there myself. Do as Andy suggested get your CV out there and see what there is for you that can keep you interested and your mind ticking over :)

Soldato
Ev0 said:
The only other crucial thing I forgot about would be that the biggest change would be to leave my current team as they are also my closest friends, but maybe that's not a bad thing.

Go for a new job in a different dept. keep in touch with your current mates and make new ones as well in the other department = win win situation. :D

Associate
I say go for it. I was in a fairly easy job but it started to get me down as I felt my brain was starting to die!
I left to find a new challenge.
So now I'm looking after the kids and studying (my head hurts) :D

Back
Top Bottom