Made-to-measure Leathers

Soldato
Not sure if any of the really big names do made to measure. I think BKS do though. Are you sure you need a made to measure one, if you was after a 2 piece then what with u being 6f 7 then I wouldn't hesitate. But with 2 piece I'm sure you could get a great fit, although you may struggle with the pants being long enough.

I'm a lanky 6f 3 and I struggled. Wolf and arlen ness are longer than most in the leg.

Maybe a longshot, but you could tryand contant a uk race team like crescent. There riders will have custom made suits by the big names and they might be able to put you in touch with someone. It won't be cheap but I can't see that being a problem.

Associate
I can't help there, but there's another reasonable way of doing it; I know a few people who have bought a set of leathers they like, then found a local seamstress to fit it in for them.

Shops dedicated to selling riding gear will often have a seamstress attached.

Godfather
Godfather
OP
I have a 36-27" inside leg so it's impossible to get anything off the peg. At the moment I'm riding with an Alpinestars jacket which fits well on the shoulders and arms but is way too big round the waist. I think the manufacturers just assume XXL means you're a FB. Trouser-wise I'm wearing Hood jeans (finished to my length) with woven kevlar lining. Fine at low to medium speeds but I wouldn't fancy my chances at anything above 70mph.

Associate
Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
There's a place in Coalville, Family run firm called JRS, I "think" they do custom leathers made to measure etc.
Good old fashioned English firm as well.

It might be called JTS, I could drive straight there but I can't remember the name. :o

Can i take that recommendation back ? I've just looked at that site & can't believe it's the same place. They are Not the leathers for a busa.

Last edited:
Associate
BKS if you want made to measure.

Unlike yourself, Spie, I'm tall and broad. I have a size 60 one piece Dianese suit which is too small across the shoulders and not really long enough in the leg, but is just about OK for trackdays. For regular use though, I use a size 64 Alpinestars 2 piece suit. Fits well across the shoulders & chest, the pants are plenty long enough but the waist is too large.

I believe BKS have a turn around time of up to 12 weeks. In the mean time, try giving MCA Leicester a call to see what off the peg suits they have in stock. For some reason they always seems to have suits and boots in massive sizes in stock (4 sets of size 13 boots from them and 4 sets of leathers).

One option I haven't progressed yet is to have the two piece leathers professionally altered to remove some size off the waist.

Soldato
There's a place in Coalville, Family run firm called JRS, I "think" they do custom leathers made to measure etc.
Good old fashioned English firm as well.

It might be called JTS, I could drive straight there but I can't remember the name. :o

Can i take that recommendation back ? I've just looked at that site & can't believe it's the same place. They are Not the leathers for a busa.

JTS. ;)

Soldato
Spyke, Hide or BKS (used to be crowtree was it as well but they've sold up).

Personally I wouldn't go spyke - BKS based on the superbikes but Scott based on my own experience although that is only of the gloves and not the leathers. They may be like alpinestars - they do amazing boots but shoddy leathers.

Personally i used Wold leathers as do many people i know purely off the back of mine.

13 (i think or 14?) crashes mostly at speeds of 90mph+ including 1 at 160mph+ (snetterton main straight. ;) ) they just needed to get patched up by a local leather repairer and they've been ok again. But saying that though you have trouble getting fitment but could you not buy a pair of off-the-shelf and get them adjusted to suit? :confused:

Soldato
I know what the S stands for now after browsing there site. :(
I don't remember it being that crap when i went over years ago.

I dunno when you're on about but they strike me as very much a bit of an olde worlde place and that showed in the kit they had at the time. Been for a browse once but now the only reason i go Coalville is to go to K-tech.

Back
Top Bottom