Magic the Gathering (MtG)

Soldato
Hello everyone,

I have only just discovered this awesome card game, and being a life long geek, I don't know why I didn't look into it before!

I'm going in to town to buy my first starter packs today at my local indie geek shop. And hopefully get some tips.

I just wondered if there are any players on here?

I've only done 3 matches vs AI on my tablet, after playing the tutorial and watched a few youtube videos. I've got a very basic understanding of the rules, and I'm fascinated at the amount of options you have to kill your opponent!

Anyway, new level of geek achieved :)

There is a local indie store near me called 'Electric Games'. I've popped my head in for a second or 2 from time to time as I've always been fascinated by tabletop games, but have never had the guts to ask about it or get into it as I'm the only one from my friends who likes it. Regardless of us all being super geeks haha.

However, my mate who hosts poker nights once a month also hosts MtG nights... So that's awesome!

Tonight the shop in Reading is doing it's weekly (every Friday) games night. And the better half of me and my self are meant to be having a few pints in Reading. I don't see why we can't stop off here before hand and have a little game or 2 haha.

I just had another good game on the app... I drew! Wooo, yea it's still very early in the campaign but I'm putting up a decent enough fight and learning quickly haha.

I have no idea what to buy later... What do the starter decks come with? As I said, I'm looking to buy the double starter deck so me and the misses can have a few games over the weekend with a bottle of wine and pizza. And I will buy a few booster packs as well :D

I have some sets, spent £100s on it, really only payed against my wife. Its good fun.

I use white/black deck with some multicolored cards and my wife uses green/blue, she usually wins.

I stopped buying it when they introduced planeswalkers, I felt it was running out of ideas.

Seeing as I'm just coming into it now, so late into the game, will I be getting a sore deal as a result?

Will the game be too mature to enjoy or is there still a big community?

Some of these questions will go towards the guys at the indie shop later, but I imagine they will also have their sales input behind their words.

Thanks all for your input! I went for a deckbuilders toolkit, it seemed the best bang for buck. £18 and I have 285 cards... Tonnes to start me off with.

Now I just need to learn all the different card types! I understand the basics. Which will do for now.

Anyone got any tips on creating a basic deck?

Back
Top Bottom