Magners Cider... *drool*

Caporegime
Ok, after getting thoroughly fed up of bitter (and not really liking lager for getting drunk on) I decided to try some cider. For a few months I was drinking strongbow, which while still a bit naff tasting, was in my opinion infinitely preferable to beer for extended sessions: mouth taste was nowhere near as cack next morning, and the hangover was less. It just felt more refreshing too.

Anyway i'd accepted Strongbow, was beginning to get used to it, and while shopping at Threshers decided to try something different and almost by accident picked up a bottle of Magners. First taste: "ok". Second taste: "mm not bad". Third swig: "omfg this is The Lords Nectar". Seriously, I can't put the stuff down now. It's quite pricey (£8.50 for 8 cans) but I honestly don't think i've enjoyed a drink this much in ages. Anyone else into it? Are there any other ciders which even come close? :eek:

Caporegime
OP
Strongbow is full of chemicals, drink it and get a stinking hangover, Magners is cider from the gods, so smooth its unreal but it costs a fortune. Drinking it at home is as expensive as drinking it at a pub.

But come on oh-so worth it... if you drink weekly then the cost doesn't matter when you enjoy your drink that much surely, there's only a few quid difference between Strongbow and Magners at the end of the say and it tastes 10x nicer!

Caporegime
OP
Ok after last night I have reached the following conclusions:

*Cider hangovers, while not pleasant, are not as bad as beer.

*After drinking them side-bu-side Bulmers Original does NOT taste the same as Magners it is noticeably different... it has a different tang to it, an element of spice, a weaker taste and colour. It's not as nice, basically.

*Mahoneys was actually damn nice... I preferred it to Bulmers.

*I am now a cider man.

:)

Caporegime
OP
Ugh I bought a 2L bottle of scrumpy strong 7.5% cider (cloudy stuff) from Sainsburys the other night... tastes like crap... anyone tasted it before?

Caporegime
OP
Holy ****...

I bought some Magners from Sains the other day and picked up a couple of bottles of different typed to try, one sainsburys organic (meh), and the other a bottle of 6.2% Henry Westons Special Reserve Vintage Cider.

I remember drinking a magners then both of the bottles and thinking about 20 minutes later: "I'm actually a bit battered, wtf".

Bought another today and it turns out the Henry Weston is 8.2% and not 6.2%. Ahh, that'll be why then... :D

Caporegime
OP
Rather nice? Compared to the urine 7.2% bottle of scrumpy I bought, it's of Magners quality. Rarely have I ever tasted a cider of beer so strong yet so smooth. Top stuff.

<3 Cider.:o

Back
Top Bottom