Major Help... No power

Associate
Hi guys I really need your help, I was going to install some more RAM to my PC yest, but as I opened up the tower it was full of dust. I mean full so I used a air duster to clean it. So before anything else I connected the PC again just to make sure it was ok, but it wasnt, no power went into the machine. I am thinking maybe the power unit went, I mean there isnt the slightest bit of power going through. I have tried different cables and fuse's but nothing, does anyone have an idea... PLEASE HELP ME... :confused:

Permabanned
Are all the power connections plugged in properly?
Is the power switch on the back of the psu on?

Try unplugging all power connections (hdd, floppy,cd etc) and just reconnect the main power (24pin and 4 pin atx) and see if it boots.

Associate
OP
Everything is plugged in properly, but I will try to disconnect then connect again, the thing is though it doesnt seem like any power is going through the power box, I mean I have seen cases before where the cpu fan might spin for a second but this is nothing, oh and yes the witch is on at at the back...

Permabanned
Also make sure that the case power button is plugged in.
I've accidently unplugged the power switch when cleaning before.

Associate
OP
That the thing, everything looks fine, I am just so upset by it, the sad thing I so this for a living and not once has this ever happened to me, I have upgraded atleast 20 PC's in one day with more RAM and this has never happened to me so why with my PC, I dont know what else it could be...

Associate
OP
well I have tried the power cable that goes to the PSU in my monitor and that works fine, so it isnt the power cable or the fuse, so do you think it sounds like the PSU...

Permabanned
Not sure, I think it's another component as thats what you were cleaning. I can't see how that would break a psu.

You could try powering up the psu without the motherboard to see if it works.
Not sure how this is done though.

edit: If your psu is ATX and the connector has 20 pins then you can do it this way.
http://modtown.co.uk/mt/article2.php?id=psumod

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom