• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Major issue with computer build i9 7900x. Help appreciated: SOLVED

Associate
Hello,

I am experiencing a major problem with my build, let me elaborate:

Today i decided to update the bios on my x299 aorus gaming 9 motherboard,
and after finishing installation when it was due to reboot it never turned on again.
There are no signs of power at all. I’ve tried to turn the computer
on via the power button on the motherboard without luck.

I had previusly updated the bios at least three times without issues. I was previously
on the F6 bios realeased in August and this happened while trying to install
F7A. The processor was at stock frequencies prior to the bios update.

What can i do? Everything had been running without issues until now. The
system was built in early July

The rest of the specs are:

Core i9 7900x (ouck)
Aorus Gaming 9 x299 (ouck)
Corsair vengeance lpx 16 GB 3200 MHz (ouck)
Cooler Master Liquid Pro 289 AIO CPU Cooler (ouck)
750 W Seasonic Prime 80 Plus Titanium (not purchased at ouck)
Gtx 1080 Ti.

Thanks in advance

Associate
Bios flashing has always been one of those things that no matter how many times it has gone perfectly, every now and then it can go wrong.

1. always use the bios flash tool, normally via USB drive.
2. always return a motherboard to defaults before flashing, flashing a bios on an overclocked board can cause issues and bad flash.

To recover a board you can sometimes do a hard flash, not sure about your board but google is your friend. the most common method is to
switch PSU off on the back of PSU. or remove from wall socket. hold power button down after to remove any energy left in board. remove CMOS battery from motherboard.
if you have a jumper to reset bios put jumper in place and back to standard position before you replace CMOS battery, (sometimes battery has to be removed for hours or even over night).
replace battery to motherboard and hold reset button at same time. then power on PSU and hopefully your board will boot to bios.

some boards have a duel bios so you can boot to the 2nd bios and re flash the 1st bios. this means re downloading bios to a formatted USB drive.
don't try the same bios USB you got a bad flash from incase its corrupted in some way. re download and on a fresh format USB drive.

it can just be a time wait procedure, ive know boards come back after 12hrs of being off.

last resort in your case of no power lights check PSU as it might have failed on reboot. I would have said with your config the PSU was close to its limit at 750w

Associate
OP
Bios flashing has always been one of those things that no matter how many times it has gone perfectly, every now and then it can go wrong.

1. always use the bios flash tool, normally via USB drive.
2. always return a motherboard to defaults before flashing, flashing a bios on an overclocked board can cause issues and bad flash.

To recover a board you can sometimes do a hard flash, not sure about your board but google is your friend. the most common method is to
switch PSU off on the back of PSU. or remove from wall socket. hold power button down after to remove any energy left in board. remove CMOS battery from motherboard.
if you have a jumper to reset bios put jumper in place and back to standard position before you replace CMOS battery, (sometimes battery has to be removed for hours or even over night).
replace battery to motherboard and hold reset button at same time. then power on PSU and hopefully your board will boot to bios.

some boards have a duel bios so you can boot to the 2nd bios and re flash the 1st bios. this means re downloading bios to a formatted USB drive.
don't try the same bios USB you got a bad flash from incase its corrupted in some way. re download and on a fresh format USB drive.

it can just be a time wait procedure, ive know boards come back after 12hrs of being off.

last resort in your case of no power lights check PSU as it might have failed on reboot. I would have said with your config the PSU was close to its limit at 750w

Thanks for the advice.

The motherboard has a CMOS clear button. I've unplugged all peripherals and
power supply from the computer and pressed the CMOS clear button with no luck.

Soldato
Your board has a dualbios so there should be a switch somewhere on it to change over to back up bios. I'm on on mobile so can't view the manual properly online but have a butchers through it if you cant identify yourself.

Edit: disco p's post is what you need.

Associate
OP
Many thanks to all.

It seems it is the power supply. The motherboard does not turn on at all.
I've tried clearing the CMOS.

Is there an easy way to know if the power supply is working?

What would be the required power? 850 W?

Soldato
Many thanks to all.

I'd go 1000W so that you can run 60-70% which is the good efficiency spot. If you're overclocking that CPU you'll need more juice too.

Associate
OP
Thanks.

I went with 750W because I do not overclock. I bought that psu because it is supposed to be one of the
best.

I am kind of surprised to read it is not enough power for this configuration. I called another retailer's customer sales before I
bought the power supply and they told me it would be fine so I went with it.

Soldato
Assuming everything else works the motherboards CMOS is b0rked. You have two options. Replace the CMOS with an official one or RMA the board as faulty.

Soldato
Many thanks to all.

Have you tried the paper clip trick to 'jump start' the psu if there's life in it? Google will help you if you're not familiar. It's very easy to do.

Associate
OP
Thanks again everyone.

I'll test the psu tomorrow with a psu tester. I'll update the thread after this.

Soldato
The motherboard is dead.... RMA
probably but I don't think you should be categorically saying that until the psu has been ruled out. op rma's motherboard - tested and found to be fine op gets a testing fee and return shipping charge and then has to rma/replace the psu. no need to make a poop situation pooper

Thanks again everyone.

I'll test the psu tomorrow with a psu tester. I'll update the thread after this.
1 quick question that might help identify if it is the board or psu - is the power button on the board illuminated when the psu is turned on? you can do the paperclip trick, only takes 2 seconds really. least you'll know if there's any life in the psu before going in with the tester

Caporegime
Does the fan spin at all (even for a second) after a cold reset? I once had a GPU that died and it prevented the system from powering up as modern PSU's have protection circuits. Worth bearing in mind for any further testing.

Back
Top Bottom