Making a web site for a project

Associate
Hi guys,

Im at university and i need to make a website for my science project.

Iv been able to buy the new dreamweaver (at student price) to help build it.

Is there any good tutorials online to help give me clever short cuts and give useful tips etc.

I know its stupid that im asking this as I havent installed it yet but is it simple to use? (exam period atm so no chance on playing on it quite yet.) How long would you estimate it takes to build one to a decent standard?

Have you ever made a web site before? There is a "design" view which a lot of beginners use but its actually a pain in the backside. When you view it in the browser it often looks completely different. Do you know any html/css what so ever?

I am a complete beginner at making a website.
Unfortunately i have no idea of any html/css what so ever. :'(

I have to make this website in 3weeks along with a 5k review.

I wana cry lol.

Don't worry dude. It can be done. Check youtube. Search google for things like "how to layout a website". First of all what are the pages you require?

Home | About | Contact < Basis pages you need. Then you will probably want to add another page in about the science project. The "about" I mentioned along with home and contact would be about yourself not the project, that is what the other page is.

I wanted an image in the home page and you click different parts of the image, and a pop up occurs telling you alittle bit on that subject, but a link to be there too to take you to a page with more information on tht topic etc.

But yeah ill have a look.

Ahh. You will want a big image then and use DIV's to layout the website. The DIVs will also split the image up (not visually) just allowing you to click different sections. I think thats how it would be done. Do a google search or maybe a more advanced member here can help

Do you need to build the site from scratch? design and code it?

Or do you just need a site for the project to give it a web presence?

If its the latter, I personally would just install wordpress or Joomla. Install a theme you like and you could be up and running in 15 mins, no coding needed.

Do you need to build the site from scratch? design and code it?

Or do you just need a site for the project to give it a web presence?

If its the latter, I personally would just install wordpress or Joomla. Install a theme you like and you could be up and running in 15 mins, no coding needed.

Another vote for wordpress, what ever you try and creat yourself will look rubbish unless you are a web designer so it's faster and easier to use a predefined template from Wordpress

I havent started it yet.

Ill email my tutor to see if i need to make it from scratch.

Ill have a look at all these videos after tuesday (thats my last exam)

I highly recommend you watch the following video series from nettuts:

http://tutsplus.com/course/30-days-to-learn-html-and-css/

It's about 5 hours of video but takes you through the whole process of building a site with no previous knowledge.

You might also want to search on youtube for Google HTML/CSS/Javascript from the ground up. Quite useful for a beginner.

I love you so much! Using this guide atm and this guy is amazing!

Its quite rewarding, typing something in and seeing the effect it has.

Especially if the website is meant to be a blog, Wordpress is the business - you can set up one for free at wordpress.com. It also does a good job with static pages, though if you use some of the older templates you can get a bit cross at times.

Server side code aside, once you know a bit of html and css, take a look at the source code of your favourite website and you'd be surprised how simple some websites are in their technical details. If you download Firebug (a Firefox extension) you can jump to the relevant code easily by highlighting a particular part of the site (a banner or whatever for example). That might give you some ideas.

If you haven't already done so, I would encourage you to test your website in multiple browsers. Different browsers can render your website quite differently. IE tends to be the worse for this, especially the older versions. They all have their quirks though.

...once you know a bit of html and css, take a look at the source code of your favourite website and you'd be surprised how simple some websites are in their technical details...

This has become a bit of a habit for me and there are a few sites I go on that I think "I could probably make that"...pretty cool.

Hit a rock 2day.

Ive been trying to make a side bar with links to different parts of my website. But I cant seem to get the side bar to go on the left handle side and look detached from the content bit.

Ive been following Jeffery Way's video on floating and simple lay out but it just doesnt want to work for me

EDIT:
Ive made a nav bar. But its in the top left corner. I would like it at the same height as my content. but when i put it in the <div> of my content it is aligned in the left of the box of my content (which is in the middle)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom