Making android apps

Soldato
OP
Sorry I should have been a bit more clear, for example you've got Adobe Flash which uses ActionScript3, what are the alternatives?

Soldato
I'm in the final year of a computing degree and have done a fair bit of Java and would like to give this app malarkey a go.

Are there any books you guys would recommend?

I only have NetBeans installed on this PC at the moment.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I'm in the final year of a computing degree and have done a fair bit of Java and would like to give this app malarkey a go.

Are there any books you guys would recommend?

Just follow http://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/index.html - it's a pretty excellent guide.

Fortunately Android development seems far easier than iOS - another developer at work built an iOS app and had far more hassle than I seemed to with Android! Also, Apple were (and are still) a complete nightmare to deal with due to their controlling/paranoid nature in terms of what your apps can do and what devices they can talk to.

Last edited:
Associate
Android can be painful to develop for. Certainly lacks the polish of other platforms. If you are handy with Java and don't mind getting knee deep in XML, then you should be ok.

Soldato
Id suggest using something like Eclipse with ADT.

Althou i've never really been a fan of Java (prefer C++).
Just have to put it up with it for my Job :p

Theres plenty of guides and help on the android pages to get you started and plenty of examples to work through as well.

And anything you're struggling with you can always check stack overflow

Soldato
Technically you dont really need to know much about XML as the design can create most of it for you.

althou it useful to know incase you need to edit them manually (The design does sometimes make a mess of things)

Soldato
althou with c++, you cant use this on its own, you have to use it along side java with the NDK.

But this is actually quite limited as you dont get access to some of the api features of android, and it has to be compiled for each type of phone for it to work.

And accessing some of the hardware is also difficult using c++

Soldato
I use Xamarin. Lets you write both iOS and Android apps in modern languages: C# and F#. And you can share assemblies between the two. So only your presentation layer is different.

im pretty sure there are limitations in doing so.

why ignore writing native code in its native languague? i dont see the downfall of doing so?

correct me if im wrong but android was build on top of java and iOS on objective C?

Why jump through hoops developing on another language that wasnt designed for the platform/framework?

Soldato
im pretty sure there are limitations in doing so.

why ignore writing native code in its native languague? i dont see the downfall of doing so?

correct me if im wrong but android was build on top of java and iOS on objective C?

Why jump through hoops developing on another language that wasnt designed for the platform/framework?

What limitations? I've not found any. If anything it is the opposite. I find Java and Obj-C to be limiting. I'm all for polyglot programming but only when the tools you're about to use are superior for the task at hand which Java and Obj-C are not. Hell you need to own a Mac to even get started writing iOS apps if it wasn't for Xamarin.

:)

Soldato
What limitations? I've not found any. If anything it is the opposite. I find Java and Obj-C to be limiting. I'm all for polyglot programming but only when the tools you're about to use are superior for the task at hand which Java and Obj-C are not. Hell you need to own a Mac to even get started writing iOS apps if it wasn't for Xamarin.

:)
So why dont everyone develope android apps in C# then if it offers more benefits then using java?

Doesnt make sense. there has to be limitations else everyone will make android apps in C# .

Soldato
So why dont everyone develope android apps in C# then if it offers more benefits then using java?

Doesnt make sense. there has to be limitations else everyone will make android apps in C# .

Probably because historically there was no free version of Xamarin.

It doesn't really matter. Who cares what the decision making process is for the typical mobile app developer? Most of them are clueless.

As I said Xamarin lets you write most of your app code once and then share it between the iOS and Android compilations. Only the presentation layer will differ. Try doing that using the laymen approach!

Back
Top Bottom