Making beef stew less boring

Soldato
OP
Whole grain mustard, cumin and Guiness all sound promising, not at the same time obviously. It can't be too spicy though. One of the people I'm cooking for can't handle anything spicy at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Worrall Thompson is a tit but that bourguignon recipe looks quite good. At the moment I think I'll go with wine or ale, plenty of mushrooms and.....something else, maybe some fresh herbs?

Soldato
OP
I'm still getting the hang of dumplings. They always turn out too stodgy. I might add some roasted peppers but I'm not sure they'll go with the ale.

Soldato
OP
I've decided to use ale instead of stout. Any suggestions? I was thinking Hobgoblin or maybe Spitfire. But I've never cooked with either before so I don't know what to expect.

Soldato
OP
Looks like that kid is trying to escape, he knows what's coming next and he wants no part of it: my mother is a bloody placenta eater, well that's just fantastic :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's just gone in the oven. Potatoes, carrots, leaks, celery, fresh thyme, fresh bay, a pinch of cumin, half a chicken stock cube, a splash of Worcestershire, a bottle of Spitfire and I'll add some mushrooms later on. It smells good. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It turned out alright. The Spitfire was quite subtle at first but by the end it was starting to taste a bit too bitter for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom